I have some cut bait(Rhys Davis) left from last season. Is it legal to use it on LO? I find that cut bait is not available from any of the tackle shops in the Watertown/Pulaski area. I really like the bait program and have a ton of Twinkie-Twinkie bait rigs, I hope that I will be able to use up the herring strips that I have.

I just picked up some cut-bait from Larry's Salmon Shop (in Oswego)...not the same Rhys Davis brand, but it appears to be the same style. The clerk said to put some morton salt on it before fishing to make the herring strip harder...apparantly the new version is softer. Also, you must keep your receipt (it will be stamped by the store).

Good luck.

I have some cut bait(Rhys Davis) left from last season. Is it legal to use it on LO? I find that cut bait is not available from any of the tackle shops in the Watertown/Pulaski area. I really like the bait program and have a ton of Twinkie-Twinkie bait rigs, I hope that I will be able to use up the herring strips that I have.

in answer to your question i have found a place that sells vhs free cut herring i have talked to the dec in watertown ny about the requrements needed should not be long and i will have and answer for you and the question you had about last years bait is no you can not use it unless it was virus free bait to beginwith

harvs fishery

chaumont ny 13622

315-408-6125

I just found out that it is ok to use lastyears cut bait. Check out the Oswego County Tourism web site. According to them the DEC says it is ok to use last years cut bait. www.co.oswego.ny.us/tourism/fishing/index.html and click on fishing conditions. I printed out the page just to have proof if I am stopped.

Mexico Point -- Little Salmon River, Lake Ontario, Mexico Bay

According to Capt. Gerry Bresadola of B & B Sportfishing Charters:

Fishing for browns and kings remains good to real good. Best area is the radio tower west to 5 stacks. Watch down temps to follow the kings to their preferred depths for that day. A-Tom-Miks in hammers, tg, and greens are excellent choices. According to the DEC there is no NYS ban on cut bait. If you have any from last season send it down. Browns remain in near shore depths and will cooperate when targeted

That is just hear say you may just e-mail them yourself and get a name of the DEC who said it to you. Better safe than sorry.

Fish-On Bait has a page you can print out if you are using that cut bait I'll take a look and post it up.

Kingfish,

First of all let me say thanks for being a soldier. You are all heroes in my book.

The cut bait program seems to be at a standstill due to the rules governing bait, because of the new invasive virus,VHS.

I hope this all shakes out soon, cut bait is by far the best way I have found to target large Kings.

Cut bait is generally pre packed and frozen herring strips cut into a pennant shape and inserted into a plastic bait head and trolled behind a large flasher to give it a rolling action.

When all other lures(spoons, flies, Etc.) slow down in mid day, cut bait, in my experience continues to catch fish.

All the biggest kings I have caught have come on bait. The biggest to date is a 35# pig caught last season on Mexico Bay.

I hope this has helped.

Mark

Hey everyone,

I usually don't post, but thought I would chime in briefly to help if I could.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, and I am not entirely sure that the DEC has a complete understanding on this one either. I have spoken with the DNR and DEC offices from NY through Wisconsin and everywhere in between, and all I hear is specifics on two matters: 1) Brining & 2) Location of Catch.

If you buy Fish On Bait Co whole or cut herring, know that our brining measures are above the boards for the DEC (it is not just the freezing in this case, it's the addition of salt and our "secret sauce" in brining each strip and whole herring). In addition, our herring has been pronounced "clean" by those at the government's testing body, APHIS (Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service seen at www.APHIS.usda.gov) because our herring is NOT caught in either the Great Lakes Region or Puget Sound (both areas have tested positive for VHSv).

In any case, keep spreading the good information, know that there will be frozen bait in the market to be used freely (as long as it passes cert & standards), and know that Fish On Bait Co herring will always be good to go.

www.fishonbait.com/GreatLakes.html

Tight lines...

Keith

Fish On Bait Company