Muskies & Fulton chain of Lakes

On the way up to Eagle Bay for a few days with the family. A friend of mine is already up there and called me in a panic today. He told me that all the landlocked Salmon are gone and that muskies have taken over the Lakes ( First, Second, Third and Fourth lakes). He told me that he was throwing a big top water muskie bait and had a huge blow up. No hook up, but that was enough to convince me to pack my St. Croix rods and my Musky Boxes..............So much for the family vacation. The fishing addiction strikes again!

I didnt know there were tigers in those lakes. Even if there were, there cant be many. Most studies by the DEC have showed the stockings of Tigers to be a failure statewide (and nationally) with the exception of a few lakes like Conesus, Canadarago, etc. You need real muskies to produce those naturally and there are no natural muskies there that Im aware of. Most likely Pike and a few Tigers hammering the salmon. Wish the Tigers took hold better but for some reason they dont survive very well. BP

Believe me, they're there, Tiger Musky, and they're BIG.

They are definitely there! saw 2 over 40" last year fishing for bass in 2nd and 3rd lakes. Also had a couple of shorts follow our lures in the 24" size range. There are enough numbers of them to successfully target them and expect to catch fish.

I didnt know there were tigers in those lakes. Even if there were, there cant be many. Most studies by the DEC have showed the stockings of Tigers to be a failure statewide (and nationally) with the exception of a few lakes like Conesus, Canadarago, etc. You need real muskies to produce those naturally and there are no natural muskies there that Im aware of. Most likely Pike and a few Tigers hammering the salmon. Wish the Tigers took hold better but for some reason they dont survive very well. BP

Well, Myself and friends in my boat have boated and released well over 200 of them. Also, Tigers grow approx. 6" per year and their life expectancy is only approx. 7-8 yrs. so maybe you're right. ;)

Are you saying you got 200 tigers out of those adirondak lakes? or 200 tigers anywhere for that matter would be pretty tough to do. nice going if you have. BP

In a 3 year period we've done that. I only do catch and release for Tigers on my boat, all on one lake in the Adirondacks, so some of them were probably repeaters. It's not the area I fish, but I know for a fact they're in the Fulton Chain, and they are surviving. They are a hybred fish and not supposed to reproduce, but a DEC officer told me they will reproduce at a 1 percent rate and considered inconsequential.

For those of you who would like to try for them, stick to approx. 12 fow and flatline troll along the weed beds with Husky Jerks (blue/silver or crawdad) between 2.5 - 3 mph. Hang on, they're a ball to catch.

Freaky story. One time 1 caught a 30"er while ice fishing on Otisco. Funny thing was...I caught it on a lone tip-up that I found frozen in the ice with my binoculars. Had to use the spud bar to free the tip up thinking "cool...free tip up" and then began to bring the line in when suddenly it took off the other way. Unreal. I had to hike back to my site and grab my auger and hike back to drill a hole next to the chisled out tip up hole, reach my arm through to grab the line from under the water, and pull a bunch of line through to play the fish. Blew my mind when that baby came through the ice. Funny thing is, it's ALL I caught all day. So here's the question. Was I skunked if all I caught was one fish on someone else's frozen tip up?

• 5 years later...

Leaving tomorrow myself to head up there. We stay right and inlet and I couldn't take it anymore 2 years in a row without my boat up there. I am taking my smaller boat and can't wait to explore. I was thinking about taking the riggers or cooper rod 300. Is it worth it? I plan on just bass fishing but I saw a ton out suspended a couple years ago. I am guessing landlocks?

Are you saying you got 200 tigers out of those adirondak lakes? or 200 tigers anywhere for that matter would be pretty tough to do. nice going if you have. BP

His name IS Muskybob ;)