Wow, what a day on the water, we braved the weather report and found the lake fishable

The water has warmed up a bit, found 67-69 degree water. We stopped to check out hot spot from two weeks ago and the water was too warm, we jumped to what we were guessing is 130 FOW (fish finder was not healthy today) SW of the fleet.

Riggers fired 80-100 feet down. A prototype spoon I have been working on was on fire!!!!, I will have to make more as it is mangled. Another I call a purple demon was firing and is still in a nice king. Purple thunder with or without glow ladders worked great too. Dipseys fired with 250-300’ out, green echip with a siggs green dolphin fly fired consistently. They started off hitting light then really knocked our socks off, we had several doubles too.

We went 8 for 14, two break offs, and three lost fish on our dipseys. Ok, that is 13, oh, the last fish was knocked off by my captain :shock: when he tried to net it during a double. Honest mistake ;) or was it but a few minutes later a rigger fired and he pushed me out of the way and grabbed the rod, :?: (just kidding) and with our 6th keeper we headed to breakfast.

Thanks for the report on the east end, I'm just starting to fish the big lake and looking to get into my first salmon since leaving in Alaska '96. Couple of questions, how far out do you go to get to 130 FOW? Also, I read about people using dipsey divers, but what size do you use (I see 0, 1, 2, etc in the store)?

Russ

If you launch out of stoney creek the run is not far 3-5 miles if the fish are there, if they retreat to the basin you are looking at a 9 mile run. I personally do not fish the shipping lanes. A GPS and hotspot map help. Best advice I can give is DO NOT DRIVE CIRCLES in the pack, what a waste of time. Find fish outside of the pack and do not leave them. I had to laugh at the guys this weekend that were doing tight circles around each other and I while we fished outside of them about a mile and picked up 6 fish in an hour.

I use #1 dispsy divers, if you are just starting rig up some power pro, I use #50, that is a lot of tackle to trust to lighter line. Okuma 10ft Mooching rods work well and they are only 25 bucks at dicks. the setting depends on how deep we are fishing. A line counter reel is a must.

Less that 50 feet I use 3, most of the time 2 and when they are down deep 1.

A good suggestion is Dan Keatings books which you can get at bobsoutdoors.com, the salmon one is newer and even an old fisherman like myself can learn new tricks. His first book is good for a beginner.