Merc 170 Voltage regulator?

OK, by the looks of things I think the Voltage Regulator is shot. I have an 86 wellcraft with a merc 170 engine. No alternator that I can see. Took the boat out Sat only to discover the smell of burnt wiring/rubber and for some reason the voltmeter was at 10V. Opened the hatch to see what the problem was. Found a black box with 3 or 4 wires had puffs of smoke coming out of it. Mostly yellow wire. This rubbery green/brown gunk was coming out of that box. Box is just under and behind the dipstick and has a 3/4 inch hose coming in and out of it. Called a marine mechanic and he thought it was the voltage regulator from my description. At that point I didn't even know what a voltage regulator was. Then I was floored when he said it would cost $400 for the part and another $100 to install. Boat is in sodus.

Looked up the engine online only to find that this is a common problem with the 470/165/170 engines. Most put in an alternator kit either from Sierra for $500-$600. Wagner makes a kit that I found for $380. I also found a kit with a rebuilt one wire marine alternator or $295. Any wrenchers out there available to help me install the kit? Kit includes all the wiring the mounting brackets and the alternator. I'm willing to pay for your efforts.

Thanks.

Mo

Silverspoon, did you by this boat last week and was it your first trip. you should have an alt. Is it an outboard or a IO. I was thinking IO. You mentioned a dipstick. I think you should have a marine mach. check it out before you spend any money on parts.If you don't have a alt. I don't know what would burn out the Reg. Try L-M he's on Port Bay, his shop is across from Pier One on the west side of the bay. Thats if its on a trailer. Lots of luck.

WWIV,

Thanks. The boat is in the water. I do have a trailer, but would rather have it fixed at the boat. The engine is an I/O. This engine was designed with a stator and a voltage regulator instead of a alternator. I'm now 100% sure it the Voltage regulator based on a few hours of research. I've owned the boat for 3 years now.

Mo

Definitely the Voltage Regulator. I have twins in mine, One has the after market alternator, the other I am biding time before the VR blows out. If you replace just the VR, you can do it yourself, pretty easy, just need about an hour of time. I would suggest that you find a mechanic who has done the Alternator replacement though, it is quite a job, esp. if you have limited space in front of the engine to diassemble and reassemble the belt. Also, it is likely that the coolant overflow will need to be repositioned as well.

I did not tackle this job myself and am glad I paid a mechanic for about 6 hours of his time.

I think I've seen the new VR's for about $300, the Alt Kit can be had on EBay for less than $400, but up to $700.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, upgraded the charging system to an 1 wire alternator going to the old orange wire/Red and purple wire off the old Voltage regulator. Im currently reading between 13 and 14 V with a meter at the Alt, but only 12 at the voltmeter on the dash. Used to read between 13 and 14 with the old Stator/VoltageRegulator system. Haven't checked the voltage at the battery yet. Shoud the dash be reading the charge on the battery or the output from the Alt?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Good question, mine is performing the same way. 13-14 volts at the alternator 12 volts at the dash meter. I questioned the mechanic at first, but the alternator seems to be putting out and I have been trolling on the engine without any issues, so I was assuming what you are, but cannot explain it.

try pulling the connections CAREFULLY off the back of guage and reinsert mine have a triple pole plug , also check connections on all guages some share a common ground if i remember right ,,,,did it with mine when i had the same issue 5 yrs ago.. been working fine ever sence.....