Dirty Transducer

The sonar portion of my Lowrance 350 is not working properly. The boat was left in the water by the previous owner and the transducer has a hard coating on it from that. How do I get that hard coating off with out damaging the unit. I tried a shotch brite pad, it didn't do much of anything. I need somtheing to loosen up the harded grime, will bottom cleaner/muratic acid melt the plastic?

• 1 month later...

You can use standard sandpaper without harm to the transducer. Anything more aggressive than 100 grit and you will be asking for problems. Solvents of any kind is a bad idea. you can also contact the manufacturer, however be prepaired for them to say dont try to clean it and just replace it, thats bogus. After its clean get a bottle of transducer bottom paint and follow the directions. The paint will fill in the imperfections and make the transducer last longer. Two coats will usually last the season.

If the unit is a LMS 350A, it could be the transducer is on it's way out. I had the same problem, and had trouble getting new transducer. It now sits on my dash as a GPS with the fish finder part turned off.