Yankee Boyz from Wilson ---> 5/7 - 5/8

May 7th - We left the dock at 6:30am and headed out to see what Lake O had to offer up. Fishing reports were spotty. A few kings being taken, but word on the street was that it would be a Coho/Laker bite, and indeed that’s what it was. Although, we set up for Brown Trout first thing, but we quickly pulled off that virtually non-existent bite and headed deeper. The weather was much better after a little rain cell came through, but the gnats became unbearable, and made fishing not seem so fun. Gnats crawling in your ear and up your nose all while swarming your head just took the fun of being out there away. We spent at least an hour cleaning the boat when we got back to the dock, but even as we left the marina Sunday evening reminisce of them were still found on the boat.

As we got out deeper the Coho gear went out and we started to pick at the Coho’s. We fished from 100-200’, and at times the screen was unreal. Flat lines with Brad’s Thin Fish seemed to be our hottest bait. But we also took a few off the 5 color cores with Dreamweaver SS Coyote’s. Our riggers and divers were basically dead with the exception of one Lake Trout. We ended the day with a nice box of fish. Sorry for the lack of pictures for this trip, but other than fighting a fish no one wanted to be outside getting swarmed by the gnats.

May 8th - Morning Trip - The ‘Ol mans first ride on the new ride! - Uncle Eric picked up my father Sunday morning and brought him down for his maiden voyage on the YT3. Our ladies spent the night with us on the boat, so at 8am we left the dock for what would turn out to be a great morning. We headed a touch West, and decided to set up in shallow and work out deep looking for a few Kings.

Our spread consisted of 3 riggers all with sliding cheaters, 2 wire divers, and some short cores fished off our Otter Boats. It didn’t take long and we had our first rigger shot. We had a pair of Dreamweaver Glow Froggy’s down 50’ when we started to hear a reel scream. The ‘Ol man was tied into his first King in quite some time! We would end up boating 5 Kings and a few Coho by 11:30, and we had to head in to pick up our afternoon trip. The Brad’s Thin Fin’s were the ticket again on the surface for those Coho’s, but the Kings would all come from one rigger pulling those Glow Froggy’s.

2011-05-08_10-16-06_519.jpg

2011-05-08_09-06-30_234.jpg

2011-05-08_09-48-01_273.jpg

2011-05-08_09-47-18_179.jpg

May 8th - Afternoon - We left the dock a little after 1pm. We knew there were some fish out there, but we also realized it was the middle of the day with bright sun shining down on us. Oh, and the Lake was flat as glass too. We would watch the surface temperature get as warm as 56 degrees at one point, but low 50’s were the norm on the surface for most of the day. Below us it was 44-46 degree’s depending on how deep we got.

We set up with some Coho gear, and during the middle of the day that saved our butt by giving us some action. The Coho’s were all over that same Brad’s Thin Fin that has been so hot for us. Our guys even had us fillet up one of those Cohos to experience some Lake Ontario Sushi. I may need to keep some Wasabi and Soy Sauce on the boat during future outings.

Our box was filling up with Cohos, and at 5pm we decided to pull off them and look for a few Kings. We didn’t leave the Coho bite for long and we were hooked into our first King. Northern King Sea Sick Waddler fished on our 60’ rigger would go on to take 2 of the Kings, and That Dreamweaver Glow Froggy down 50’ would take the third. It was getting late and we needed to clean some fish, so out came the fillet knife. Cleaning fish must attract other fish, because every time we start rods fire. The first rod to go while cleaning fish was that Dreamweaver Glow Froggy. He was a little King, and we put him back to grow up. Right at the end the 300’ Copper would take off pulling a Dreamweaver Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist fly. As that fish neared the back of the boat I could tell it wasn’t the color of a King. When it got to the net I could see it was a HUGE Atlantic Salmon. Great end to a good trip!

2011-05-08_18-18-29_387.jpg

2011-05-08_19-32-56_952.jpg

Its great to see a pix of your Dad on your boat once again!

I do have a Thin Fin lure and Im gonna pull it out from the pile of lures that I do not even have a clue on how, what, when, and where to use.

Now, what about those gnats? I have completely forgotten about them. Now it has all came back to me from the time when Barry and I were fishing on your YT2 last year! LOL.

Love that Atlantic pix!

Great report!!! Not on your fishing you always (well almost) pull a fish or two :lol: .

But the report of your dad on the water its wonderful to see him in action , i hope he knows I (we lou) were pulling so hard for him i had to take a 4 month vacation in the keys to recover (thanks pops)...so keep the pics of pops comming (and that good looking girl in warmer atire)..

Hava great day bud that pic just brightened mine...(pops not the girl)

So, it's a sick bait? Got any idea where I might find a picture of one?

I guess it's more of a crankbait. You can get them here:

http://www.gloutdoors.com/crankbaits.aspx

Its great to see a pix of your Dad on your boat once again!

I do have a Thin Fin lure and Im gonna pull it out from the pile of lures that I do not even have a clue on how, what, when, and where to use.

Now, what about those gnats? I have completely forgotten about them. Now it has all came back to me from the time when Barry and I were fishing on your YT2 last year! LOL.

Love that Atlantic pix!

It was just as bad! Amazingly, they were here one day and virtually gone the next!

Great report!!! Not on your fishing you always (well almost) pull a fish or two :lol: .

But the report of your dad on the water its wonderful to see him in action , i hope he knows I (we lou) were pulling so hard for him i had to take a 4 month vacation in the keys to recover (thanks pops)...so keep the pics of pops comming (and that good looking girl in warmer atire)..

Hava great day bud that pic just brightened mine...(pops not the girl)

Thanks Ray! I know how much you guys were pulling for him. A lot of people were. No doubt it helped, and the family thanks all of you. He had a blast, and got to catch a few fish. He will see more time on the water in the near future. He will be fishing the invitational with us.

Way to go man awesome. The gnats were terrible at olcott on Saturday i have never seen nothing like that. I tried froggy to but all we found saturday was a skunk. Later man nice report and great pics.