Fishing the Bar

I would like to try fishing the Bar everyone is talking about. Would someone help me out with where to go? Where to launch? Where to stay while I'm there? I fish mainly out of Fair Haven and Henderson but I have got a terrible urge to hit early King's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Launch at Wilson and head West or you can shoot right out of the Niagara River and be on top of it in a mile or two. There are a few places on RT18 near Wilson to stay, or you can stay in Youngstown. There is a launch right at Fort Niagara if you choose to go out of the river.

Four Mile st pk is located between Wilson and the Fort. Your camping will let you launch at either the Fort or Wilson st pk. There are good diners in Youngstown and Ransomville and on Rt 18 . Gas up at the Indian res and same a couple of bucks. My wife likes the Lady of Fatamia shrine thats near there. Last week the fishing was tough , but it should explode soon.

You guys are Great!! Thanks

:yes:

Yes they are. I'm headed out next Monday and the guys from LOU have helped my planning tremendously! Thanks Rick!! We plan to stay in Youngstown and launch at Fort Niagara but if the fishing is better at Wilson, we will trailer to there.

It seems like most every spring the fish may be in front of Wilson or even towards Olcott, but the numbers always seem to be from the red can to about 6 or 7 miles east of the can. Most of the time the "good" water will move around a lot due to the river currents, but stick it out, hunt 'em at and around the bar, and you will find 'em. I've lost track of how many times we have run from Wilson or Olcott all the way to that 6 miles east of the can mark to find better fishing than whereever we had been...

There is a small motel in Youngstown (not bad) http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/youngstownmotel.htm

Like previously stated, camping at 4 mile creek is another great option, the Fort Niagara launch is only 5 mins from there as well.

If you want to fish the red can, you are best fishing right out of Youngstown. You can't go wrong fishing youngstown to Olcott, but I grew up fishing off the red can so i'm biased :)