Reducing Blowback?

this is my first year with downriggers. i have scotty strongarm-30 riggers with the regular round 8lb weights. im not happy with the blowback even at fairly slow speeds. maybe im just not used to it. but , do the pancake and shark downrigger weights make a big difference? will using a heavier weight help? thanks, mark

Heavier weights will help a ton. I use the 15.5 atommik weights. There almost straight down, even the one with the probe on it. You will need to make sure your riggers can handle more weight if you decide to go that route

Heavier weights will help a ton. I use the 15.5 atommik weights. There almost straight down, even the one with the probe on it. You will need to make sure your riggers can handle more weight if you decide to go that route

:yes:

I'm using the 13 pound atommiks and they work well also.

hey guys, about the deepest ive been going is 90-100'. even at 2.0-2.4 GPS speed the blowback is bad. im worried that when i speed up when fishing for kings that my current setup wont work. i have scotty strongarm 30 manual downriggers. i havent been able to find how much weight they will handle, i need to call scottys. what about 10# pancakes? best, mark

Mark, the problem with pancakes is that in a cross current, due to the amount of exposed area including the large fin, it's very easy for the starboard rigger to get tangled with your port rigger, or visa versa. Not fun!!Torpedo shaped weights is the only way to go for less blow back & true tracking.

I run pancakes down as deep as 110' & do not have a problem with tangles. Properly angled rear fins on the pancakes keep them out to the side enough to prevent tangles.

It's not rocket science!