Somebody set me straight with Dipseys/wire

One of these days Im gonna figure this out.

On another post I read :using wire and dipseys , the dipsey would dive 1' for every 3' of line let out on #2 setting. I am assuming this is using a #1 Dipsey? I cant seem to get a straight answer on this. With or without the ring??????

Doing the math 100' out gets you 33' of depth.(#2 setting) Ok till I looked at

the chart Luhr Jensen gives you. According to that 102 feet out with the ring gets you 45' with 20 lb mono(#2 setting). Why would it go deeper with mono than wire? Something is not adding up. Is it true every 3' out with wire gets you 1' of depth with #2 setting? with ring or without? and #1 dipsey? Help. You guys are the best.

??????????????????Thanks in advance BP

Im kinda new to this fishing stuff this weekend 337 ft line was pulling fish outa 105 to 110ft zone with spindctr and fly ,i was lerned 1for 3 with 2.5 setting at 2.5ish mph with#1 with small ring that has been accurate for me and i gets lots of fish on the wire so thats how its done on my boat if you look at the chart from top to bottom as the line drag playes in the line out changes from 30 ft out for 15 ft depth 1 for 2 ...to122 out for50 ft down getting closer to 1 for 3 so when your trying to get 70 ft or more with wire and small ring just go to the 3 to 1 ratio unless you want 20 diff answers to confuse the issue K.I.S.S. keep it simple silly (stupid)

The 3 to 1 ratio is pretty much a rule of thumb with 30 lb wire on a # 2 setting with a #1 dipsey with the ring it comes with.If your getting marks down around 90 feet set dipsey out around 300 feet.then if your not getting hits but are still marking fish let another 10 feet or so out.You will have to tune them in.There are so many varables out there(Waves,wind current etc)that to be able to tell you that 3 to 1 is etched in stone I would be a liar.trial and error is how you will learn what works for you on that day out there.I also have that book it's a great reference.But I don't live by it.Good luck on your quest :lol:

A LOU member suggested that I take a small temp and depth gauge and run it down the wire every now and then to actually see what depth the dipsy is running at.

It is a good idea and has worked nicely for me.

Also remember: 300 feet of line out on my reels will not be the same as 300 feet of line out on another reel. It depends on the make of the reel, the size, whether or not you have backing behind the wire and how full the reel is with wire.

Its all trial and error....mostly error on my part till I spent time listening to the older members.

Cabelas used to have it but I couldn't find it online just now. :(

Don't listen to Ray - only reason he's here is to give out bad info. so he can have a better shot at winning the Pro Am's :shock: :shock:

The Precision Trolling Big Water Edition book, available online at a number of different places, gives a whole bunch of dive curves for various lines attached to dipsey's etc.. Again, a general idea of where to start to get to a specific depth w/ # of feet of line with a specific diver at a specific speed. Let the fishies tell you how far out they want it.

Sorry to add to the confusion ....... DAN

(4 and counting) did i mention 3to 1 at 2.5setting at 2.5ish mph opps with a spinny thing,Irish check the babys diaper sumpting smells like crap when i read your post ... hows the rug rat doing ? keep working on his first word F-I-S-H-I-N-G ,might have room on my tub for the Cayuga louall well stuff little 2 rods in the cabin and put out a nice spread..P.S. hold your ear real close to the water when you listen to the fishies they learned not to talk loud in there schools..BWAHHHHHH ha ha . sorry.

Boy that was quick Ray!!!!! The little one is doing well, packing on the pounds every day ..... and night :shock:

Not sure what his first word is gonna be, 1st daughter's first word was "fish" (she was born on the 2nd day of trout season) 2nd daughter's first word was "duck" (she was born in the middle of duck season).

Thanks for the invite, wife scheduled summer vacation starting that weekend, I'll hopefully be washing lures around Henderson Harbor.

DAN

I would like to weigh in my .02, I have marked fish at a depth of 113', let out standard size dipsy on a 3 setting with 11" flasher and fly, to 339' feet and landed lakers to 11 lbs in Canandaigua Lake. I know, I know lakers big deal right, but this lake is near my house and I have a little boat. Speed probably was around 2.5- 2.75 mph and that would be a 3:1 ratio. Also I have let out 150' of wire out over 50 FOW and the dipsy ticks the bottom. I run a Daiwa

Sealine 47 LC with 30 lb Malin silver and a Tekota 600 LC with 30 Lb Opti Tackle camo