Lake Erie Perch

jimski2

Yesterday there were 7 boats catching perch at the Ontario Street Bar on the Upper Niagara River, short ride up river from Town of Tonawanda Boat Launch at River Rd & Sheridan Dr.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The past week has been good perch fishing in 56 foot of water NW of the Angola Water Tower. The wife and I took 48 keepers Friday in two and a quarter hours. It took longer to clean them. We ran out of bait and our two other boats  had 60 and 46 perch in the AM. Today one boat had a perch on as soon as the lines hit the bottom, one line only could be handled. Half the perch caught are ten to thirteen inches.

I fished for a short time Sunday until the winds really kicked up.  We were on the water by about 6:15 a.m. and fished for about 3 hours mostly on the Ontario Bar.  Only managed 8 keepers and threw back about 3 for every 1 we kept.  The water temp was 61 degrees which leads me to believe that the spawn is over and most of the perch have headed out to the deeper waters in Lake Erie.  That being said, we did catch a few, and had the wind held up and given us more time, maybe we would've gotten into a steadier bite.  You never know...

• 2 weeks later...

Our failure to harvest enough species like smelt and perch has led to walleye reproduction failures. These harvests are monitored by local fishery agencies on a lakewide basis.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

T

• 1 month later...

wonder why the erie perch go so deep.Our perch in ontario stay shallow.Caught a bunch of 13 in.plus ten feet ot water last week.

id like to go for erie walleye this year .i have a good boat set up but never went and would be better with a someone experienced more in walleye.

Thirty plus years trout and salmon on Ontario.

Perch are bottom feeders and where the thermocline meets the bottom you will find the perch. This time of year the schools of perch are concentrated in ten foot pods deep.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you are over a school and you run out of bait.....use perch eyes.  Old timer hard-core perchers use hand lines with multiple spreader rigs with perch eyes.

wonder why the erie perch go so deep.Our perch in ontario stay shallow.Caught a bunch of 13 in.plus ten feet ot water last week.

John, can you share a bit more info about where you got these. Where do you launch? Waypoints? Etc. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday we ran out of bait again after three hours fishing. Best spot was 64 foot off Evangola where the perch were larger and less white perch and white bass. About 50 boats in the area fishing for perch combat style. Anchoring produced better than drifting, you need a lot of anchor rope in these depths to hold bottom.