West End Fishing

Wow, What happened to the fishing on the West end? Looks like it was very tough for the WHI. The reports I saw last week looked so promising for this week. Was it this weather? The weather for the next several days doesn't look any better. Rain, rain and more rain. We are supposed to fish Tues, Wed, Thurs. Looks like rain, East winds and possible T-Storms all three days. Not sure I want to ride 12 hours for that. You guys who fish the West End all the time, would you say this weather is going to keep things messed up? I'm wondering if I should see if the guys can go next week instead, assuming that a few days after all this mess passes, things might settle down. Any thoughts? How about the other species? I know they were all targetting Kings yesterday. I wonder if it's just the kings or everything is in a rut?

east wind ant never good (99%) of the time.....In the spring its even worse for the majority of kings cause it pushes the bait back to canadian waters, justa a guess but ill bet the top boats were outa the country............cold ,wind,and rain and tuff fishing(catchin) ,makes for a long miserable day. My suggestion enjoy the TV for a few more days.. http://www.attheoak.com

might give ya a little insite too....the web cam will show ya realtime skys and what if any boat in the forground move tho most charters are behind the channel...check the camera around 6 am when mst guys (charters)head out.....

plus ya might not wanna go home with fishing rods like this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24390

It does look like a challenging week in the west end. The majority of the Kings will be at or over the line. I don't know what size vessel you have, but the area you are looking to target is much rougher on an east wind because of the Niagara current. Coho and Lake trout fishing remain strong, but all things considered you may want to pick a different week.

I would definitely wait. The east wind Sucks over there on the bar. Plus the river is loaded with bait right now. When the bait comes back out to the lake and the wind blows more favorably from the west the bait will spread slowly east and hang out on the bar for a good while. The kings will follow. Best time for me has been last week of May to beginning of June there. Depends a lot on the weather, wind most importantly. Like Vince said it is rough there with the east wind. Even if the vessel is good in the rough stuff it is difficult to troll the way you want to. You get breaking waves on top of big rollers and It's kind of a washing machine out there.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Dear Mickey Finn,

Capt Vince said it well. Wait........ Buoy 45012 has been showing easterly winds for 8 straight days. TODAY it's 23 KNOTS out of the NORTHEAST!!! Save your gas money...wait until that wind blows out of the west for 2 days @ 45012....then GO FOR IT! The fish that I cleaned Friday were full of Emerald shiners....small minnows. Catching was very slow to stop on Friday on unless you were on the Red can and West....EHH!!!

Respectfully submitted....Jet Boat Bill

So the current and the waves from the East create this wave effect? I see that June is usally more of a transition month on that end of the lake. I assume this year because of the late spring, this will take a little longer to happen? I also assume it might take a few days of west wind to get things back in order? The long range forecast: http://www.myforecast.com/bin/expanded_ ... tric=false . If you can believe the forecast, I'm wondering about mid to end of next week and get out of there on Friday or Saturday before the weekend croud.

Transition in June more applies to the points east of olcott. The ports like point breeze are coming into transition then. The bar east to Wilson will be favorable in June.

Another good weather station is the fixed monitor at olcott pier. West southwest is best.

Also don't rely on wave forecasts on an east wind at the bar. Last Tuesday wave forecast....

2 feet or less....actual at midday 3 to 6.

Wind at 15 to 20 knots northeast.

Yes, let the color set up with the west winds and calmer seas.

Mark

Later part of the week looks better with a stable, warming weather pattern. This usually means favorable winds from the south and/or west. Being that the lake has now warmed, I don’t think it will take much to push the fish back east. I agree that a day or two of west winds will be all that it will take. One thing I have learned about the west end fishing is the fish move fast. I have had instances where I have gone from a zero salmon day at the bar to a fifty salmon day two days later. .. and the next day the mother-load was already in front of Wilson. I have also seen instances where a strong east/northeast wind followed by flat calm water had the fish concentrated out in the middle of the lake in 400ft of water. You just never know. If you could, I would watch the wind forecast and plan to be there when the wind switches. My gut tells me it will be a blood bath once that happens.

Good Luck.

DR

Well, our back-up plan worked out great. We had great Brown Trout fishing on the East end. I don't know what we missed out on at the Bar over the last three days but we did 80 Browns up to 12.5 pounds and a 13 pound Atlantic. Tuesday was very windy but we got the whole day in staying next to shore and we did 30 Browns up to 10 pounds. Weather was better on Wednesay when we did 29 Browns up to 12.5 pounds. Today fishing was tougher this morning with flats seas and sun but we did 8 Browns in the morning. Then we made a move south about 5 miles and picked up 13 more Browns and a 13 pound Atlantic in an hour and a half. Then got chased off with a T-storm.

101_0897.jpg

101_0903.jpg

101_0907.jpg

101_0908.jpg

101_0915.jpg

I'm sure that was as good as it could be for the choice on a backup plan. Glad to see you got into some nice fish after a long trip. Those Atlantic are a great bonus. Nice pics, thanks :yes:

Mark

Nice!!! Glad it panned out for you

We were in the same boat as you, we were going to be in Olcott today through Sunday with reservations and planned on seeking some kings but the conditions are :no::no::no:

Thanks Tim for the insight and your posts which helped to make my decision.

I have made several plans this spring/summer/fall so there will be many more days but I am itching for some kings!!!