L&M Hank, a question from big easy

Guest john r

Guest john r

Hank,i think you told me in a reply to one of my posts,that you had an older seacraft 23.I had said that i was restoring a 74 23 Tsunami/scepter.

Maybe you could help me by telling me what you had for a motor on yours.I just picked up a nice 350 mercruiser,to use on my 23 restoration,but it only has a 2bbl carb on it which makes it 230hp.

I have a nice Edelbrock 4bbl carb,and thought about getting an Edelbrock performer 4bbl intake manifold and installing it to give me in the neighborhood of 260hp.

The guys on the classic seacraft site said that these boats take a fair amount of HP to get them going good,and recommended going with the 4bbl. and some said that i would have to change the cam also,although i don't see why.

How did yours perform?,and do you think the 260hp would be enough.If you can shed any light on the subject,it would be appreciated.Thanks for any help.

PS i had to reregister under a new name,for some reason i can't get on under my big easy sign on

John: My 23 was outboards twin 115's and i never lacked for power. Cranked out about 45mph with a light load. When I was on the coast where you see a lot more of them we serviced a fair # with i/o's as well and most were powered with anywhere from 200 up to 260hp range from different manufacturers. It all seemed to depend on who made them the best deal for that model year what they put in them but none lacked for power. I wouldn't be afraid to put the 230 in it as I'm sure you'll have plenty of power. But if you have the carb and manifold and the engine is out go ahead and put the 4bl setup on it a little extra power won't hurt. As far as cams go what is in it now will work out fine and still keep your trolling speed and idle where you want it. I've got to see this boat when your done! They are a great hull and boat as well as bringing back a few memories.

Guest john r

Hank,thanks very much for the quick reply,its a big help.I'll let you know how the progress is going,maybe we can meet up and go for a spin and do some fishin,if your in the Olcott area.

I'll try and post some pictures tonight on the boat section,showing the work done so far.I have most of the nasty dirty bullwork done.I ripped out the entire rotted transom core from the inside,and installed all new marine plywood.

I had to lay up two layers of 1708 on the inside of the outer skin,then the ply, then three more layers of 1708 cloth over that.Ugh'it's the last time i'm doing that,not fun.

I still have lots of stuff to do,putting the engine beds in this week,and hope to have the engine in by the middle of september.After that have to do everything else, like steering, controlls, trim tabs, gauges, fuel tank, new window glass and weatherstrip, paint, etc. etc. etc.

Hope to finish most of this by the late fall,and be able to do the electronics, kicker mtr.,canvas work, and the rest in the early spring.I'm hoping to float it sometime in may next yr.

I'll let you know when i'm close. Again thanks for your help with the info.