Trolling with only 2 rods - what's the Summer set-up?

I've recently relocated to the ROC area (from 20 years fishing the salt) and have spent most of my time pursuing salmon and trout on the tribs with a fly rod (the past 6 years). However, last year we relocated from the Finger Lakes to Williamson, NY and I've got my 21 foot CC at a slip close to our house.

I've had a blast this spring with the shallow brown trout fishery, and also scored some surface coho and steelhead out in 100 fow. However, as the weather and lake temperatures warm, I'll need to target fish deeper in the water column. I'm not currently set up for fishing deep and most of the info I've read has been focused on running 4 to 8 line spreads to cover the most productive water zones - but that also requires several anglers on the boat.

However, I primarily fish alone and I'm wondering what is the normal set up for running only two rods? Two dipseys, a dipsey and downrigger, two downriggers only, lead core flatlined or off planners, etc.. Obviously if I have a few friends out - the more rods and water I'll be able to cover. Just interested in what the rest of you all do when running shorthanded?

Since I'm rigging the boat from the ground up for trolling, I wanted to start with the basics, but still be able to get into fish during the summer. I plan on adding to the set-up as the budget and need permits.

Thanks - and so far, LOU has been a wealth of information which has set me on the right track this spring.

Sweetwater T

Two dipsies, running solo can be a real challenge. 1 dipsey & 1 rigger much easier. Two riggers easiest. 90% of my time is 2 riggers.

A lot depends on how well you can control the boat, while not at the helm. Waves & depth also are important factors.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'm with longline on this.

I'll fish 2 riggers when fishing alone and if I'm marking fish and am not catching what I should be I'll get a different presentation in the water

such as wire dipsy or a Thumper rod or copper. Probably 80-90% of the time I can get my riggers going though.

Good luck

Glen

If you are fairly new at this use th KISS program. 2 riggers w/ one rod/ one lure on each min 7' depth apart w/ same shorter ( 10-30') leads.Watch depth finder carefully & fish the bait.Zig Zag & turn around & thru. Try to hone in on speed.When you hookup, turn boat to go w/ waves to help you steer & take out of gear if there is a breeze & enjoy the fight.If you are setting up the boat, make sure you do it to set lines safely.Try to keep back of boat open. Landed many fall kings alone on my 16'er. Have the net handy. Good luck w/a big one.

It's not about more, it's about making what you have work.

I also fish solo alot, not a disadvantage at all. My preference is two riggers with fixed cheaters.

Save the divers for when you have a second person on board. They can be a handfull when by yourself, even with autopilot.

We must be fishing the same water, I am between Pultneyville and Sodus point at Hughes Marina, stop in and say hello.

I like to run two riggers and throw on some fixed or sliding cheaters to be able to put four baits down. Spoons are the choice for that setup, and that will be simple. If you use flashers and flies I would use that on one rigger and no cheater and the other rigger would be spoons cheated for three baits down.

Any flasher or spin doctor would be best by itself on a rigger not cheated as you can imagine a spinning attracter and a cheater coming together for a huge snafu. You could run the flasher and fly combo out on a dipsy and still run one rigger cheated too.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Fishing alone, keep it simple... I haven't done it in years but can not even think about dipies by my self. with 2 or more people on board, anything goes, cheaters, long leads, snap weights on copper, you name it. Solo means not just hooking fish but now you have to land them,That can be a trick.. I would only run 2 riggers, if you have to run cheaters make them short. with 2 riggers, run a stealth program, just spread them out. Lots of times less is better anyway.

Thanks everyone for your quick and insightful posts - exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Greatly appreciated - since I'm looking at outfitting the boat with riggers, but had considered only getting one rigger and getting some dipsey set-ups to offer some options.

I just finished reading Keating and Porter's first book on trolling for Great Lake Salmon and Trout, and have started Keating on Kings - read the chapter last night on setting up/fishing from a small boat, and it mirrors most of your answers. Hopefully, I'll be chiming in on the reports section as the season progresses - and will keep everyone updated on my learning curve progress.

Holy Mackeral - yeah, I'm just around the corner from you in Pultneyville. Give me a shout on the VHF - Boat's name is Natasha 2. Have been having some good luck with the browns both west toward Webster and also out your way. Last saturday in the fog - picked up some browns shallow on your doorsteps and also my first boat caught steelhead out deeper. If the weather lays down, should be out Friday night and both Saturday and Sunday - the stain is back in the water, which will hopefully pick the shallow bite back up.

Sweetwater T