Sandy 7/17 - Another rookie checks in from Sandy!

Went 3 for 3 on kings :D:D:D . 1 a teenager, 1 low 20's and "A PIG". I would guess upper 20's maybe low 30's, it measured 42" long. I guess with all the other crap I have invested into fishing, I could afford a scale.

Fished in front of mouth to pump house. All fish were caught in ~140 fow, on wire rigs out 220'-240' with #2 dipsey setting.

2 kings caught on green hootchie mama w/ green crinkle fly, the other on a white pearl e-chip with mirage fly. Speed was 2.7mph on GPS.

I started about 6am and had the 3 screamers boated by 7:30am. Then I couldn't manage another hit before packing it in about 10am. I'm not complaining by any means, but the way I started I was hoping for more.

I marked quite a bit of fish down ~70' in 100 - 120 fow, but no takers. Wasn't marking the fish out in the 140' range, but obviously they were there, at least first thing in the morning. Whether they moved off, or I started doing something diffrently I don't know.

The fleas seemed to be getting pretty bad compared to my first time out - a week ago. How long do they generally hang around? Is it gonna get worse?

Well, hope this report can help someone else have an exciting morning!

GOOD FISHING ALL!

Went out tonight from 5-8 PM. Flees were TERRIBLE. Lots of hits- but hard to hook up. Ended up 4 for 13. One large king about 25 lbs, 2 small kings and a hog brown around 10 lbs. Fished 70-140 FOW usually rigs worked best- green was hot.

Lost 2 really nice fish- both on the wire- out 255- 3 setting.

Good luck!

Longline,

I was trolling predominately N - S direction. Working the waters 110' - 150'. The few other boats I saw out there also seemed to be going the same way, although out deeper. I did venture out their way once into about 175' but didn't do anything.

I hope September gets here soon, the fleas are a pain! I guess as long as I can get out on the big lake and catch a few screamers, then I can deal with the hassel of the fleas.

GOOD LUCK!

LT - One way to get the fleas off of your line when reeling the lure in, is to place your rod tip just into the water then whip it vertically upward. However make sure the lure is at least 30 ft back otherwise you'll get a lure in your boat. Line breaking the surface will generally cut the buggers right off. Some guys smack the surface with their rod tip, but I'm always leary of breaking the rod that way.

GTN is right about Flea Flicker - works pretty well, but is on the expensive side.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Yea guys I have heard very good reports about the flea flicker line, but my issue was with my wire rigs just above the dipseys. I was under the impression that the wire rigs would not have much of a problem with the fleas. I was actually getting more flea build up on the wire rigs than on the leadcore line with a dropper weight. Seemed odd to me!

I did try whipping them off by slapping the tip down towards the water, but also had the concern about rod breakage. The tip in - rip out technique, seems like a good method to try. Thanks for the tips. :D

Hope you had some luck if you got out last night GTN. I can't wait to go again myself. Fun stuff!

LTtroller

(Bob)

S&R down at Irodequoit was supposed to order some. I got him the contacts he needed and he seemed interested in the product. If not then you can buy direct from thier website.

http://www.mccoyfishingline.com/

It is a west coat company so thier presence here isnt very good, yet. In the bass world I live in I have turned many people in to McCoy users localy. Last year I started using it on my Salmon rods to find out it didnt collect fleas. I was impressed!