diawa 57lc drag problem

I tried my new Diawa Accudepth plus reels leadcore set up this weekend for the first time. The drags were set to tight to strip line from reel so I adjusted them and started fishing. We had a strike ,I reeled down on the slack and the reel started to slip as though it was in freespool. Lost that fish, adjusted drag and it happened again. It was pouring rain that day and I was wondering if water got on the drag washers. Should you do some sort of drag washer break in? I have been running 47 lc's with no problem. Thanks for any help! Wes

This is a common problem with diawa LC reels. I have 3 or 4 of the previous models that all need new drag washers. I still have a few that work just fine! This usually doesnt happen until hardcore use or many ripping drag runs! Try to return it for another new one.

Sounds like the arbor is silpping on the main shaft. The drag holds the mainshaft and the arbor slips on it. Tuna Tom pins the arbor to the shaft on the sealine 47's when he repairs them. Diawia should have done this when they built them.