Type and quantity of wire to use for Dipsey set-ups

I am looking to upgrade a pair of dipsey combos used for LT and Kings from braid to wire. It looks like there are several choices with respect to the type of wire out there. It looks like there is single strand and multi-strand to choose from. I want multi-strand, correct? 30lb?

Also, will a whole 1000' fit on a Diawa 47lc? If so, would you recommend putting that much on?

ScottB and I spoke briefly about this yesterday when I picked up the combos, but I want to make sure that I remember correctly before placing an order.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Malin 7 strand 30lb wire. 1000' will fit with a little bit of room left on the spool. I have been using it for years and it is awesome. I tried the torpedo brand 19 strand and had issues with it. Mason is good to but I find the Malin to be a little less stiff.

Like Brian said wind it on tight, then when you get out on the lake, attach a 1lb ball weight or something with weight and let it out almost all the way to the end. Then wind it back on, that will prevent and line digging that can occur with wire. I have used both 7 and 19 strand wire and have never had problems with either one. Good Luck.

Capt. Rich

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

When spooling, get an assistant. Place a pencil or similar item thru the spool to act like a spindle. Have your assistant hold the spool with oven mits on and apply pressure to the spool so the wire goes on TIGHT. Termination is easy with a wire line knot.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

As is the case with braid, always make sure the line guide lines up with the wire coming off the spool......so if you retie keep that in mind or snap goes the dipsy. Wire is more brittle than braid so NO bass-hook sets to trip the dipsy, just put your thumb on the spool and sweep back from 10:00 to 12:00 position. Don't jiggle the rod to get fleas or debris off the line.....the weight of the dipsy bouncing can snap the wire.

Where can you buy Malin 7 strand in Rochester? I've got two new dipsy cobos coming in Wednesday and want to spool up 1000' of 30lb 7strand for this weekend.

Thanks!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Captains Cove or Narbys in Oak Orchard usually have it in stock.