fixed sliders/cheaters

Hello all,

I've been trollling for a year now and recently got some downriggers. I learned how to use a normal cheater - simply attaching a spoon with a 7-8' leader to my rod's line with a large swivel; i presume it goes down to the "apex" of the bow in the line - which is about half of the ball depth - correct?

i have seen reference to guys using several "fixed" sliders or cheaters on their rigger set up.

Will someone explain to me how to attach the additional cheaters so that they stay at the place/depth you want them?

how do you keep them from getting all tangled up when you have a fish on or merely re-setting up? (esp. with all the fleas out there now)

many thanks,

andre

I occasionally run either a sliding cheater or a fixed cheater.

The way I run a fixed one is fairly easy:

1. Let out your line, attach to the canon ball release and let the ball down about 10' or so.

2. Grab the mono main line and tie a small rubber band on it.

3. take your cheater leader and pass the swivel through the loop in the rubber band and snap it onto the mono main line.

4.Lower the cannon ball to the desired depth.

5. catch fish, lots of fish!!!

So far I have had great success with steps 1. - 4. I am still having difficulty with step 5. :(

The rubber band holds the cheater at the desired place on the main mono line. I usually place a fixed cheater 10' above the lower spoon.

When you catch a fish on the cheater it will slide down to the lower spoon so tangles are possible, if you catch a fish on the lower spoon then simply unclip the cheater leader as you reel it in. The rubber band can easily pass into your reel without causing problems.

You can eliminate some tangles with a slight variation on mikejones setup. Instead of passing the swivel through the rubber band simply attach the snap swivel below the rubber band. I use a small 30lb snap, and rubber bands the size of a quarter.

The slider will want to slide up the main line but bumps into the band keeping it in place. Its pretty fool proof and (almost) never tangles. The small band prevents hanging up on your reel. I'll typically run the slider 5' above the ball.

Good luck.

Bill

Intersting two ways for a fixed cheater, I was showed a thrid way. Doing like said above I half hitch the rubber band to the downrigger cable loop the main line about 4 twist hook the cheater thru the loop in the main line and the loop in the rubber band and close the snap. Rubber band will break if fish is big enough.......... :lol:

I agree, I always half hitch the rubber band to the cable, I think it helps with the hook set also, a little pressure to start the hook set, also the rubber band will not be in the way when retrieving the fish.

Another way which I saw this weekend was to set your main rig in the release and drop it down 5-10 feet and the put a split shot on the main line and attach the slider below the shot, this will prevent it from sliding up. Good Luck.

Rich

I use a device called the Elberta Clip'r . it is spring loaded and attaches to your line anywhere you want it. When a fish hits the spring tension releases and the clip'r slides down to your main lure. I bought them at All Season's in Pulaski. I'll never go back to a free slider again.

I use a rubber band to keep my cheaters fixed. Leave them out in the sun for a while so they break easy. I highly recommend fixed cheaters over sliders. You know where your fixed cheater is when you catch a fish and you can duplicate it every time. Sliders will change depth with speed change and the amount of tension on the rod.