Depth Raider and Cannon Short-Stop

I have Cannons & a DR on my boat, and yes, you do need to take a small amount of the coating off the cable to make the shortstop feature work. I tried it without taking the coating off and it wouldn't stop at the water. You'll only need to take a half inch or so off to make it function properly. Works great though.

Just be careful if you have new Cannons when you're running your probe down way deep. I had mine out 130-150 this past weekend and we ended up peeling a bunch of the coating off the cable when we brought the probe up. Due to the swingback (we even had a 15# Shark out) the cable was touching the top of the pulley cover and we did some damage to the coating. I plan to take a dremel tool to that pulley cover to buy myself some more room.

I don't recall stripping any coating off the cable at the rigger spool & the auto stop feature works fine. The auto up feature sometimes is a little testy - maybe that's the issue.

I think a lot of people run the black's release above the probe and it seems to work out fine for them. I run a black's release inline above the probe connection crimped onto a plastic tube slid up the cable, never had a hitch with it. The set-up is posted here somewhere w/pics.

DAN

Yankee, are you running the blacks release with the clip so you can take the probe off when not in use? i just rigged one up last weekend to run under my DR probe and havent tried it out yet, going to give it a go this weekend, any issues with it rigged like that?