DEC Proposed Reg Changes 2012 - 2014

One Brown Trout limit here is the link, They are asking for input

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/73762.html

Reduce Lake Ontario tributary creel limit for brown trout (2012_GL_02)

Description: Reduce brown trout creel limit in Lake Ontario tributaries from 3 to 1.

Rationale: Numerous Lake Ontario tributary anglers and organized angling groups have repeatedly requested this regulation change, citing personal observations of "over harvest" of brown trout. A reduction in the brown trout creel limit would reduce harvest and subsequently increase angler catch rates/satisfaction.

The out of state non residents represent a lot of dollars in this fishery but they have no input in thi proposal, but do you think you will spend a lot of money to travel here for one fish? Will the state cut the stocking rate for brown trout since no one is taking enough? Is there really a problem? Should brown trout be stocked since they are a foreign invader?

Jimski yer right tho the steelie pop seemed to explode after the 1 fish limit i havent spent 1 nickle to spring fish sence the law change....it would make more sence to some dum plummer like me to make a few of the smaller "great spawning" streams off limits ..Their are a few feeder,great spawning streams into Cathrine creek that are visited 99% by booters and rippers.if left off limits would increase the rainbow pop.100xs the new 1 fish perposal for that stream too.....but i ant got no colage edgeabucation to proove that....but their is one feeder that runs through private land below millport that the owner wont even let his kids fish or disturbe the spawning rainbow (for the last 30 yrs) I would be willing to bet those unstomped beds have produced more fry than the entire rest of the creek....Ps Ive lived for opening day on Cathrine for the last 30 years and see what happens to the "big" spawning fish...trust me they never see the lake again

I bet most of the people that are driving this change are C&R guys anyway so they don't care about the guys that keep the fish to eat anyway.

Does DEC perform creel census checks along the tribs like they do on the lake? I don't fish the tribs often so I haven't encountered this if it is done. That may help indicate how many browns are actually being kept per angler hour.

I bet most of the people that are driving this change are C&R guys anyway so they don't care about the guys that keep the fish to eat anyway.

Does DEC perform creel census checks along the tribs like they do on the lake? I don't fish the tribs often so I haven't encountered this if it is done. That may help indicate how many browns are actually being kept per angler hour.

Andy,

I know they ask on the Salmon river, I have been stopped at the launches numerous times and have heard this question being asked, I can not say about the rest of the tribs along the lake. IF anyone went to the State of the Lake meetings, they had the numbers of for and against this. Depending on the time of the run, you could see the change of opinion switch from keep 3 to keep 1. IMHO this regulation is more focused for the western tribs, and I am wondering if it is being pushed by a certain couple groups myself. Maybe they should make it limit of 3, but only 1 over a certain pre set size for trophy fish. I see both sides of the argument, either way there is no right or wrong answer.

Rich

Why not reduce the limit of Fish in Lake Ontario itself if they are so concerned about overharvesting ? I have seen many pics of limit stringers of Browns on here the last 2 months or so. Look at the reports of on the South Shore section of here this year. A bannner year for Browns. Most likely becauce of the water /mud conditions this year.There is NO shortage of Browns that warrants this change .

The years the browns are beat up in the tribs, the lake fishing stinks. Charter captains rely on the browns in the Central and Eastern ends of the lake to keep charter clients coming back. If the kings were off of every port year round in good numbers, this would not be an issue IMO. This past fall, the brown run was late and winter was early. The browns were left alone for the most part. This spring, the brown fishing has been the best in years. See the corrolation! Everyone b*tched about the reduction in Steelhead creel years ago and look at the steelhead fishery we have now. I don't see trib guys complaining now. Everyone fears change. Sometimes change is not a bad thing.

Over the years I have seen groups like "old guys with flyrods" tie up prime streams for their personal use by having them listed as "Artificials Only" areas. The local kids were locked out of fishing in their own backyards. These areas are usually never being fished by anyone, especially with the high price of gasoline today. We need shore anglers who can not afford a boat or charter to support the fishery and they need our help, not our obstructional rules. They pay the same for a license as a boat angler and should be able to harvest the fish at the same rate as boat anglers.

This year the reason the Brown fishery was so good was the dirty water on the entire sothern shore or the lake. Pre Zebra mussel era , it was hard to see the bottom or your rigger weights down 6 ft on clear water days. This year reminded me of those days , and the techs used were the same as them.That's the corrolation I see. When the water is gin clear nearshore, the inshore fishery is not good. NE storm & water gets cloudy from erosion , it gets better. Surely Gambler, you have to have noticed that.

I have been Trib fishing since 1975. Seen it good & bad . About 15 years or so ago it was so bad a few years I kind of stopped going. That was attributted to whirlling deasease & week stocking fry by DEC as I recall. Then we got Pen rearing &also the Virus cleared up ( which I think was worse than reported)and we have a better fishery. Also baitfish crash , Intoduction of exotics( Zebra , gobies , etc.)which the fishery took time to adjust to was a factor. I lived through that period.

I don't know about you Gambler , but I did great on Browns this year. Saw a lot caught, & released , not many on stringers. The Stream crowd is growing by leaps & bounds & have evolved into a sporting group from my observations. They also put a lot into our NY local economy. We should encourage that . One fish is kind of chinsy. Who are these angler groups DEC is talking about?

Besides , always learning , I learned this is a put & take fishery for economic reasons from one of the Captains on here, so what is the harm? We should want our out of state guests to take the Big fish they land home, shove it into the face of their friends & brag , so they come back up & spend more money.Changing laws to harvest more in the lake & less in the tribs is contridictory. All should be equal.

Yea, I fear change. Heard a lot about change a few years back. Aint workin out so well though.

Right on Jimski!

• 3 months later...

I'm one of those trib guys that spends a week in NY every year (10th consecutive year coming up). My group gladly spends a bunch of money in the local economy for a chance to catch some quality browns. It's tuff to see the same guys take 3 female browns every day for a week.

I would support a 1 brown daily limit. I think that would leave a bunch of fish in the water and give everyone another chance. The local guys could still end up with a bunch of fish and plenty of eggs. I believe the fishing, overall, would be better which I think is the goal we all have.

I would normally have steam coming out of my ears while I come right out and say I'm against something like this. When I first read the opening post, I started to get angry that they are talking about doing this. Especially since I am a "MEAT FISHERMAN" (Noun: 1. one who eats what he catches; 2. one who catches fish for their nutritional value). So I took a deep breath and thought about it a little bit along the lines of how it would apply to me when I'm up to my chest in the Oswego River or the Salmon Fiver each fall....

here's the train of thought that ran through my pea-brain: fall fishing in the tribs gives us the opportunity for a really sweet mixed bag of salmonids - all from shore or wearing waders. Any given day, once the fish are in the tribs, I can catch kings, cohos, browns and bows. If I keep 2 kings, a coho and a brown or a bow, or even one of each species, I've got a stringer that will be tough to carry back to the truck. Heck, 2 kings can be a lot to drag back to the truck! I also understand that, as has been said many times before, the salmonid fishery in Lake Ontario is put and take. The "three female browns" mentioned above will be replaced by juvies that aren't in the river this year, but will be next year, and those, in turn will be replaced by the next class year, and so on. If stocking remains at current levels, no change to the creel limit is really needed (there are plenty of browns to be had). The notion that ALL of the mature browns in the tribs are taken every year is naive. So, now that I've given it some thought, here's where I stand... I do not believe that there is any real need for this change, and if they enact the reduced creel limit on the tribs, I wouldn't approve of it. However, at the same time wouldn't be totally outraged either, since it will have minimal impact on the pounds of fish that go home with me in the fall. Groups that are "pushing" for this (if there really are any), are obviously misinformed and misguided.

Now had this regulation applied to browns in the lake, then I would have a BIG problem. This would totally screw up my spring brown fishing (and would certainly hurt the charter guys). Out on the lake by myself with a one & done regulation? I'd be better off spending that time hitting one of my small fishing holes and bringing home a limit of crappie (30, @ roughly 1lb each vs one 4-8 lb brown). In that case, I'm not buying gas for my boat (my jonboat with a trolling motor works fine on my little local lakes), not stopping at Screwy Lewie's for a couple of the spoon or stickbait of the day, not stopping at the sub shop for lunch, not paying to launch my boat... in other words, not putting money into the Lake Ontario fishing economy. Multiply me times all the other meat fishermen out there, and that means a lot of money not going into the economies that the fishery supports. Not a good thing.

Yay! More C&R nazi's pushing BS regs to over populate the Ontario trout population.....greatttttttttttttt!

I think all these one fish limit people should be forced to fish Keuka lake only for two years.....then let them say they want to over populate a species......morons. NO, SELFISH morons.