Liquid Plumber needs observers Niagara and Orleans Proam

I know there has been a lot of negative talk about the Proams ought I would show you the positive side of being an observer. I posted some of ithis on another thread.

I was not new to fishing Lake Ontario having fished every year in Olcott from the early 80's into the mid to late 90's.I did'nt fish For approx 10 years and went back in Sept for 10 days in 2007 with my son. After the LOC. It was a great trip with loads of Steelhead out deep and Kings at the bar some days we were the only boat on the bar with non stop Kings. Doubles, triples and even a couple Quads using mostly what I had used in the 80's and 90's Mono dipsey dodgers and squid NK's with a few spin doctors and flies I picked up out there mixed in. After talking to people out there and then finding this site I realized that a lot had changed . aover the winter I checked LOU on a regular basis trying to learn a few things and noticed that people were looking for observers for Tournaments. the I hesitated at first but checked the site out for the proams. At that time they had results from several years back. I then noticed that Liquid Plumber was looking for an observer and I contacted Him.

I started observing in 2008 in Niagara for Liquid Plumber and have observed in 11 out of the last 12 Proams. Del was a little worried about hiring me at first seeing I was coming 425 miles from Massachusetts. Next was the Oak with Ray K Muskey and Jason. Ray was a little worried also. I made it there and we a good day of pre fishing but Ray had a family emergency and had to return home and had to cancel out of the proam. They all felt preety bad for me but I understood the circumstances. They could have told me to go home but they paid for a room for the weekend for me to stay and payed me the observers fee we agreed on and gave me a $20.00 tip. SO I stayed the weekend and hung around at the weigh ins with the liquid Plumber team. That cost me a lot of beer. But they fed me. The only bad expieriance I had was in Oswego 2008 when I was hired by a team to be thier observer and they backed out and did'n t call me and would not answer any emails or phone calls after I had driven the 300 miles to Oswego. I found out later that they fished Big Fish Friday under another name and knew I was there but would not call back. Del bailed me out and found me a place to stay that weekend. That same weekend I hoked up with Jim thompson to be his observer in Sodus. On Tuesday Jim called me {we had never met face to face} and told me his regular observer had come home and he would not need me as an observer. He did invite me to come out and prefish with him in Sodus and he offered to let me come on the boat during the proam. I did go out and prefish and stay with Jim but Screamer needed an observer so I Observed for Joe and Dave. I have observed for several teams but mostly for Del on the Liquid Plumber. I have made a lot of friends being an observer and have since fished with a lot of them and have enjoyed every minute. I can go to almost any part of the lake and call someone to get some info. Del and I have become good friends and now I fish with him on a regular basis. This year he needed a new team member and he asked me to be part of his team so I will no longer be observing. This did creat a problem because we hav'nt found an observer for the Niagara proam yet.

I believe Glen from Spoonfed could tell a similar story as I believe Richard Bullen was an observer for him last year and it seems like every time Glen post a picture now it is a picture of Richard.

My son has also observed in a couple of Proams. Last year he turned 21 and observed for the Hooknup team and spent 5 days with Al in the best spot on the lake for a 21 year old he does not want to miss it this year. I believe he observed on JollyII's boat.

I would like to thank all the teams that hired me in the past and the teams who's boat I observed on and I will see you all in Niagara.

However anyone feels about being an observers there can be some positive outcomes and I would like everyone that is considering observing in one of these events to do it and hope that it turns out as good as it has for me. I had a couple of bumps along the way but it has been a very positive expieriance for me.

Chris

Very well put chris,,,,Yes their is something very addicting about lake Ontario. The 120 mile drive (one way) seemed a little far to "Just Fish".. Then in the words of a friend many years ago answering my question : If those guys (on the radio) lost a fish how do they know it was a salmon ??? As if on cue a rigger rod poped and in the middle of a 300 ft run with the reel screaming he turns his head gives me a s h i t eatin grin points to the reel which seems like its gonna explode and says "THIS IS HOW THEY KNOW IT WAS A SALMON "

Yup i was hooked .

PS. DEL (liq.plummer) is one of the best rec fishermen on lake ontario so if ya wanna sharpen yer learing curve , have some great company,and from the post above hava beer or two.

The Pro/Ams Experiance will get yer blood flowing,Being a observer or capt. of a crew

on yer own boat. It should be something every one who loves to fish should try at least once...................um twice..................ahh maybe one more.......to "Are We There Yet"