Lake trout set-ups

Brian.....I actually never closely examined mine and assumed because they are so light they were just stiff plastic must be VERY  light weight aluminum with plastic coating?

Edited by Sk8man

I tried the 7 blades but they pulled way too much and I lost a lot of fish on them.  You can't beat the 5/0 and 4/0 Hammerheads.  I have tried everything under the sun over the years and the Hammerheads are my go to. 

Brian.....I actually never closely examined mine and assumed because they are so light they were just stiff plastic must be VERY  light weight aluminum with plastic coating?

They are very light aluminum.  I'm pretty sure there is no coating on them either.  Just taped up to look pretty for those ugly bottom dwellers. 

• 8 months later...

Can I use Hammerhead cowbells without downriggers? Like using braided line and a dipsey diver?

You can run them on a thumper rig or off divers.  It is a pain but it does work. 

Lakers are such scumbags. They literally eat just about any spoon, peanut, or fly that I drag on the bottom of my spot on erie. I can't soak a lure long enough to get my other riggers down. I luv em

30lb braid? Or mono?

Mono main line with a floro leader.  I use floro for the abrasion resistance.  Braid is nice for a main line but the fleas end that early.  The hookups are way better with braid and the fight is better but like I said before, fleas are an issue. 

I cant seem to find em this year. Was out today (with east wind) and didnt mark hardly anything inside of 80 feet. Was I too shallow? Jeez the water was 46 out there.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 12:36 PM, huntercs said:

Hi everyone! Question, do you need sinkers or weights for cowbell trolling?

Downriggers are the easiest method for running cowbells for lakers.  A thumper rig produces but it takes what little fight there is away.  If you run a thumper rig, I run 16oz weights off of a keel with a 36" lead to the weight.