Surface bite - I-Bay

I was out of I-Bay this morning. At about 220 fow, I'm seeing many finning fish feeding on the surface. I put out two rods flat lined 180 feet straight out the back , one NBK spoon and one Dirty White boy spoon. After trolling through what seemed like a very larch school of surface feeding fish, I missed one hit on the NBK and thats it.

Questions:

1. Are those fish likely steelhead, cohos or something else?

2. If I had been using planar boards, would that have increased my odds of catching them instead of watching them feed?

3. Seeing them feed on the surface about 80 feet of both port and starboard sides of the boat, is that an indication I should be using planars?

Thanks all for any information you would like to share.

Tight lines.

Smalltauk.

I was a ways west of you today. (Russell)

1. Did you see "minnows" jumping out of the water to get away from them? If not, they were probably steelhead or atlantics chasing bugs. There were bugs all over out there today. I saw a few small swirrels within 20 ft of my boat.

2 &3. Very possible planners would have helped somewhat. If there's 2 or more of you on the boat then definitely put at least one planner board out this time of year. Fish may be out over deep water but they were not generally deep in the water column. (other than the big Kings & Lakers)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Many fish all over the surface out of Rochester today,I even saw one rocket straight up out of the water on the other side of are planner. We managed to scrape a dozen bites(steel,coho,laker) on a variety of baits. Get some planners and try some small sticks and spoons next time. We did not use the real small stuff for some reason but we should have!

And in addition to what Steve said when it is calm and clear like today use long leads and light line. Planers are a must out there! Small spoons of the dw ss or smaller size seem to work the best for me

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png