Lake Ontario-Seabreeze-Long Pond-Fishing Advice

Hi all,

I am new to the Rochester, Greece/Monroe County area, from Ft. Lauderdale / Everglades Florida area.

I could use some help in regard to Lures used and Fishing Techniques for this area.

Bass Pro Shops told me to use what I used in Florida and turned me onto Frogs, but I think there is much more to it than that!

I have seen talk of Spoons and Flies in this forum.

In my travels around the Lakes and Lake Ontario I see a lot of people using Real Worms with or without Bobbers......

In Florida I know the Times and Water Temps and How to Fish the Everglades, Lake Okeechobee, etc...

But here and at this time of year and the Water Temp, do I fish Deep, Mid or Top Water?

In essence any tips that you all have to take my recent outings from Zero to Hero! LOL

Please help me out in learning the differences from Florida to Upstate NY and making the transition...

Thanks,

Bud B

We have Largemouth that are similar to FLA . Same techs only a little more finnese is required.I like a Horny toad over weeds also. Also Smallmouth , they like rocky weed edges & roam open water down to say 35' feeding on the bottom on crabs ,minnows & gobies. Jigs & cranks for them deeper but small spinnerbaits & jerkbaits for them shallower.Great Northern Pike can get up to 20 lbs. Weeds & Edges for them . Inline spinners,Spinnerbaits,Sticks & all plastics for them.Panfish are Yellow perch, sunnies , Crappie & Rockbass. All can be had on live bait , or my Fave , small plastics in 1/32-1/16 oz ultralight 4 # test.

Lake Ontario has the Trout & salmon you read about. In the fall ,say Sept they start to migate up the local steams to spawn & that goes on till spring. Look at the trib section on here for that.

Best times & place-

Bass & Pike- you have Braddocks bay, Irondiquiot bay, Sodus Bay, Sandy Creek & Oak Orchard , witin 1 hr drive of Greece. Also the fingerlakes. Pike is open now ,Bass 3rd Sat in June.

Any trib to the Lake has fish & can be HOT at times. I fish FLA for Bass & inshore Saltwater & a more Finnese presentation is required up here.

Also lots of piers on Lake O. 7 ' light action spin w/ 4 # ,6 # max will get you action now for starts ,1/32 -1/16 oz plastic jigs. Slow & on bottom.

Good Luck.

• 3 months later...