"Wire Dipsey Rod selection???"

Been lurking for a while, so I thought I would post for once.

Looking at the following wire dipsy rods for running wire with a Diawa SG47LCA & mason 7 strand 30lb wire. Currently I run 2 Power Pro dipsy's with 9'0" rods (cabelas depthmaster gold (12-30lb) rods). I want to add 2 shorter wire dipsey's for a 6 rod spread. Looking at the 8'/8'6" blue diamond rods vs. diawa heartland 9'6" from fishusa.com (having a sale & free shipping over 50 bucks).

How much stiffer is a BDC-802H 15-30lb 8' rod vs. 12-30lb 9' rod? I don't want a broom stick for a dipsy rod!

BDC-802H Heavy Dipsy 8' 15-30 lbs 10 13 1/2"

(w/butt cap) 6 3/4" $39.95

BDTR-862MH-1 Medium/Heavy Wire Line

Trolling 8½' 15-30 lbs. 7 (rollers) 12"

(w/ butt cap 5 3/4" $64.95

Will running an 8' or 8'6" & a 9' be too close together? Say PP dipsy on setting 3, using 9' rod. Then wire dipsy on setting 1, using a 8' or 8'6" rod. 18" horizontal distance between rods & angle difference. You know what I mean?

Having a hard time deciding. Really want to see & touch both of them & do a physical comparison. Unfortunately these rods are not available in SE PA. I want to have everything setup for my august oswego, ny trips.

Been reading everything & anything reguarding wire dipsy's on multiple websites!

thanks,

jetsled

i kinda like my ugly stick broom handle 29.oo bucks at dicks 9.5 ft fished with a 230.00 dollar loomis custom dypsy rod and it suc#ed looked nice but ya wont find one on my boat the heavier rod really comes into play when its bumpy absorbing the heavy pull of the waves and returning a little giving the dypsy that extra kick , the lighter loomis just stayed at a 90deg bend ,flat ,bumpy or fighting fish the rod never flexed much ,,,,but it shure was pretty,,,,might of cost me a big derby fish prefishing the pro/am friday as the only give was the drag no backbone to absorb that sudden pull ,,, go for the stick,,

Jet,

I have the Heartlands on love them, you can't beat them for the price. You should be ok going with the 8'6", but I do not see you running the PP until the fleas are gone. They are making a mess even on the wire. Good Luck.

Rich

I'll chime in my .02. I used the Heartlands briefly. It is purely a personal preference, but I hated the long (9-6 or 10-6) heavy rods. Found a deal on 8-0 Talora roller rods, which I like a lot. Gander has their own brand which is very similar for about $40-$50 less. The 8' Taloras are the longest rods I use on the boat. Switched my rigger rods to 7' medium action Ugly Sticks after using them on a friends boat and loving them. Leadcore and copper are on 7' leadcore rods. I fish alone about 50% of the time, and when I fish with others I usually don't run more than a 6 rod spread, and never more than 1 dipsy per side. I found netting a fish alone to be much easier with the shorter rods, but again, it is personal preference. If you plan to run 2 dipsy's per side I would recommend the longer rods, which tend to be a bit stiffer (broom handles). The nice thing about the Heartlands is they are pretty inexpensive. If you decide you don't like them you are only out $30 and you can probably sell them here for $20.

Jeff (Miss-em) makes a awsome dipsie rod 7' one piece with single foot roller guides. Its action isn't as stiff as the other rods. Works great with the Kings and the smaller landlocks and lakers in the fingerlakes. I run them with 30# wire and Daiwa sg47 linecounters. ;)

jeff your right on the newer tips the roller recesses behind the sides ,a lot of my stuff was hand me downs from the 50 and60's solid brass with replaceable bronze bushings but with a small gap to the sides that ate my first wire attempt with rollers i have 5 or 6 replacement rollers ,screws,and bushings if anyone needs to rebuild the old style ....

I still like a Twilly tip on my roller rods. The twilly makes a nice little shock absorber that minimizes kink issues, etc, when handling around the boat or stowing. BTW I didn't mean to bash Eagle Claw, there rollers aren't necessarily cheap, just a different style that doesn't work the best with wire. Poor choice of words I guess.

I run a Uglystick 10' dispy rod on the outside and a Gander Mountain Guide Series 9'6" on the inside (2 off of one side) The Ugly stick is a broom stick but the Guide Series rod is awesome. I purchased them this march and they are only $19.99 each. You can't beat that price. All they need is a twillie tip.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 of the guide series for my slide divers. They are a great rod, upon going to gander to get 2 more for my Tekotas they told me they dont make them anymore. Im going to call the cicero store and have them look for me.

• 5 weeks later...

Ray and MISS UM You hit the nail right on the head , I'm new to the wire rigs and I picked up the eagle claws roller rods and have been trying to figure out why the wire keeps getting caught on the side of the roller on the tip , thought I put on to small of wire dia. , should I replace with twilly tips or replace the roller with better rollers??? Thanks for the help , I was afraid if I didn't hold the rod just right so the wire didn't get off the roller I would loose a nice fish.

What is a twilly tip and what does it look like? I have googled it with no luck. I am new to wire and dispy fishing. Right now I am using 8' pinnacle dispy diver rod with 20# flea flicker line. I have had good success with this setup but now I am wondering if I should switch over to wire. All of my gear is used on the Finger Lakes and When I go to Lake Ontario with a buddy, we use his gear. Do I or should I switch over to wire with a twilly tip?

www.biglakeoutfitters.com

Heartlands are on sale for $25.19 a piece, just ordered 2- 10 1/2's to match up with my 9 1/2's and replace my old 9' Great Lakes Systems which will move over to mono divers after I repalce the twili tips. Shipping was $10 for the two rods. Fish USA wanted $36.95 plus $6 shipping for the 10 1/2's.

Just my two cents to add to this thread as well. My Great Lakes System rods are now about 20 years old with the same twill-tips and the ceramic eyes have never been replaced... I don't believe for a minute that roller rods are necessary.

I used the Heartlands this year and loved them and I need a pair of 10 1/2's to be able to run two per side. My old 9 footers served me well, but with 300' of wire out they were a bit short against my 4' boom out and downs on turns with any wind and current.

• 2 weeks later...