mag dipseys

Unique situation I can't seem to work past? I switched from size1 dispeys to the mag dispeys this season and the same problem keeps occurring. The dipsey will twist with the line that runs back to the flasher. I have never had this problem with the old size 1's. I have had this happen over and over this past weekend to the point where I had to cut wire and re-do my terminal end. I am letting it out plenty slow. Any suggestions?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Oh jeez, don't you hate it when somebody say's 'never seen that before!' Well, dam sorry John but... Um, my memory isn't what it should be (without beer), but what are you running for wire( I run Malin and John's AFW camo & haven't seen this issue for a while. I'm sure that you do want to run a quality coast lock on the leader to the flasher & be sure the flasher has a good quality coastie to the 30lb leader. another thing - I never take my mags off. I use a heavy duty velcro strap to fasten my diver to the rod handle & then wrap my leader around the reel & secure it w/ a hair zingy. I had some somewhat similar curling 'issues' when I went to just running Mags about 3 years ago but,alas, I can't quite recall exactly what I did to resolve them. You are a way smart dude though, and I'm sure you will prevail! Keep on it! -Andy

Andy I appreciate the candor in your reply, but maybe I wasn't clear when or where it happening. This is occuring when the dipsey is in the water behind the boat. The annoying part is obviously the twist and the un-tangle but even when I release the dipsey to real it in due to the twist it comes like your holding plywood in a wind storm. How about your thoughts on the revised situation?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I had the same problem running the mags off of braid. I tried to correct the problem for a few weeks and then just went back to the 1s. I tried adjusting lengths of the leader, switching to just spoons, releasing at a even slower rate and problem still occurred. I never tried taking the snubber off and tying directly to the dipsy. Might be worth a shot.

What swivels are you using for your wire. I use the same swivels that are on the spin doctors. They need to be big. I run mag dipsys with zero problems. My guess is when you are releasing the dipsy and on the way up the flasher spins faster and the swivel can't keep up and the dipsy starts spinning with the flasher fly.

I am running the swivels same as you. Actually, one on back end of the dipsey, a smaller one attached to the stock swivels that come on the S/D's I have been thinking about this. I am not sure when it is twisting? I know when I release the dipsey for retreival I feel it pop but no relief in reeling the thing in. Then I get it close and see the leader from dispey to flasher has twisted numerous times??? I am stumped!

I wish I could take a pic of my set up right now but I am at work. I have the big snap swivel on the wire. I hook that to the dipsy release eye. I have the mag dipsys on a 1 setting most of the time and the weight is tight. I use dream weaver snubbers and attach a 5' 30lb mono piece to the snubber. I then just use a quality snap swivels that I use for my downrigging rods to the spin doctors swivel. I have zero twist with this setup.

When I send my dipsys out I loosen the drag. I don't ever disengage my drag. It goes out really slow like it can take 5 to 10 mins for it to get to the desired depth. I usually setting up other lines or doing something else while it goes down. I am now running a 4 dipsy rod setup and yet to have an issue. I hope this helps. Other things to check are to make sure the mag ring is flush with the dipsy. You can also change your spin doctor spin rate to the slower setting if you have not done that. That is where I keep mine.

Try changing out your end swivel on the dipsy. Could be a faulty swivel. Make sure you use the extra large one when replacing it. Check for binding in the front and rear holes of the spinny. If the movement is not free and smooth, you can countersink the holes so all movement is free and easy. A small round file will also do the job. If you are using too light of a fluorocarbon line for your fly line, this will definetly cause a haywire twist when using cutbait. I have not had this happen to a fly yet, only cutbait.

Brian has it right. If you let out a dipsy too fast without enough resistance it can do a 360 and twist the line such that it won't release properly. Mags need even more resistance because they will want to deploy faster due to the extra weight.

Just to clarify, the trouble you are having is that the dipsy is dropping and spinning like a top while being deployed and causing the leader to wrap around the main line above the dipsy?

I had this problem when I started using the 124 Walkers. I started to let them out slower than normal and the problem seemed to go away, a little extra boat speed helped too.