Fish Hawk

Day Break

I have been using an older Fish Hawk for temp and speed and have never been happy with it. I am hearing the new probe out performs the old one by having more power. Has anyone tried the new probe and if so how does it work? I have a buddy telling me to get rid of the Hawk and go to a Depth Raider. Any experience with them? Will the Depth Raider work with Big John Down Riggers? Any advice would be helpful!

edited & moved fome Fishing Reports to This Old Boat: l&m

I started with the old 840 FishHawk and then got the Depth Raider and now I have the new FishHawk. Hands down the new Hawk is the best unit I've ever had. In short it works flawlessly. Haven't had a problem with it yet. Great battery life as well. Readings stay consistent and it works down deep. I've had it to 180ft with no problems.

As far as the Depth Raider goes it does work nice. Very consistent and great battery life as well. However for me it was not user friendly. I ran them on Big Jons and the coated cable took a beating. My Big Jons never retrieved evenly on the spool so the cable would build up in one spot on the spool. When it built up enough the cable would fall off the high spot and continue spooling. That alone caused the cable to frey. I also stack a lot on my riggers and that would frey the cable as well. Also there's a lot of drag assoiated with the coated cable so plan on using 15lb rigger balls. The hassle of the coated cable was enough to make me switch and I'm glad I did.

My vote is for the Hawk.

Total Chaos

I am using a new X4 probe with my older FH840 unit and it works great. The new probe has essentially eliminated all the problems, no lost reading, great battery life. You can order a new probe any number of places for about $250.

I have a depth raider on my small boat and it works fine but I still think the FH is the better unit

X4 Set of four AA batteries lasts all season for me! They've improved the probe and display 100% and I received good service from the 840 for years :yes: