When do you call coast guard?

Took the boat out for the first time Saterday and rushed to get out and still did not make it out till 10:00am. Have not been out because kicker motor needed work and with the disaters in Japan parts were on back order and no idea when they would be in. So left dock with intent of trolling with inboard/outboard and was not sure if I could get it slow enough but we were going to try. Had trouble slowing to 1.8 so settled at 2.2 and within 15 minutes hooked up to a 4lb brown. That was the only hit we had and shortly after that we could see water dripping inside dog house cover and thought it odd but it had been raining so we kept going maybe 5 minutes later my son says dad that water looks worse and as I lift dog house water is spraying everywhere! I see that water is up to risers and rising, engine is still running but sputtering. We are about 1/2 mile from shore and call out for help to coast guard. They are great talking us through it as we motor our way to shore motor barely running and finally stalls about 20' outside of Catfish creek. We row into catfifish creeek and are able to hook up to dock. Scared more than injured we see that water has stopped coming in and 1 of the pumps is slowly pumping water out and we get a tow back to Little Salmon river to have boat looked at I believe now that an intake cooling hose must have split. As I was sitting at the marina I remeber a charter boat captain telling me as we listened to a Coast Guard response that you should only call Coast Guard when you are in certain danger of sinking and never call if motor is still running. Maybe I panicked but with myself and 2 adult sons on board I was scared to death. Was it the right decision to call Coast Guard or should I have tried to get other help or just do what I did and not call unless we stalled? Coast Guard never came to scene but talked to us while we worked our way to shore sure was a comfort to know they were there and would be there if needed. We thanked them many times before turning off radio. What do you guys think should I have called or not.

Thanks,

Still nervous PJ Weber

Salmon Reaper

You did right. You did not need assistance but you made them aware of your difficulty and maybe you could have made a "good Samaritan" in your area aware of the situation.

The "bean counters" and private towing services have screwed up things with their "no response rules to save fuel?" while the boats sit there and the payroll flows on. The guys would like to go out and help, but some one put their two cents in and we suffer. After all the taxpayers paid for the boats, they are ours and the payroll is being paid for them to sit on the messdeck and drink coffee while they might help someone in distress. I think the sight of "our boats" being welded to the dock is stupid, they look better underway.

Jimski,is right on,he has more time on the water than most of us have on this planet.

Definatly do not use the words "mayday,mayday,mayday" in that situation,but a bilge failure,and a few more miles off shore could of been a" mayday "situation.

This is a perfect situation to encourage and remind everyone to take a "BASIC BOATING COURSE " and step it up a notch and take a "POWER SQUADRON BOATING COURSE" THE FEW DOLLARS AND HOURS SPENT is well worth the info and PROPER safty procedures you will be tought..

Also your using a great info source (puter) to post this so poke a few searches ,do a little "safty inspection" on your own boat,keep engine area clean..

Good post !!!! With a GOOD ending.. thank youfor sharing you may have just saved a life...

You did the right thing in calling the CG. You honestly thought you were going down. Let them make the call as to come get you, direct other boats in the area to help you, etc.

Glad you made it back okay.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If you're scared, call. That's what we pay taxes for. Better to call and not need them than to hold your call and not get it out before the electrics short. VHF seems to work a bit better above the surface than below. Pan, pan, pan is appropriate for possible distress while mayday, mayday mayday is for actual distress. The Coasties can always ask another nearby boat to take a look and stand by.

Thanks Guys it makes me feel a little better to know that we did the right thing! My sons and I did take a boater safty course a few years ago here in Vermont but I will be looking into another one. Paniced or scared it is a comforting voice when you are in trouble and the Coast Gaurd is asking for your coordinace. Now if we can get the boat fixed we will be back at it fathers day weekend after we do a real good check of bilge area and pumps! Thanks again guys.

PJ Weber

Salmon Reaper