Downrigger Advice

I am contemplating purchasing a pair of Cannon Mag5 electric downriggers. I would appreciate any reviews on these riggers, good or bad.

Also, will it be ok to use my cranking battery to power these units? I have my ship to shore, fishfinder, and GPS already hooked up to this battery. I also use a Mercury Pro Kicker, which is hooked up to the same battery, and has an alternator that recharges the battery, but at trolling speeds, I'm sure that amount is minimal.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

You are better off getting another battery for the riggers and get a battery switch so you can switch back and forth to charge the battery off your kicker.And from what I have heard the mag 5's are nice riggers.Billy V just got some of the new 10's so maybe he can give you a better Idea on the newer riggers cannon makes.They can handle weights I belive up to 20 lbs :shock: Good luck let us know what you ended up with.

I have the new Mag10 HS, and IMO they're a fantastic downrigger. They're smokin' fast (250fpm with a 20# Shark)and the shortstop feature just can't be beat. The Mag5 HS is basically a Mag 10HS with a fixed boom and no swivel base. I'd highly recommend them to you.