Tsunami 6-4-11 ?

Anyone notice our tsunamis early Saturday afternoon? Layover22 in the intro thread saw it in a creek out his way.

You’ll hardly ever notice them because the lake has to be very calm and there has to be some heavy duty seismic activity some place. The water level gauges picked up something very interesting:

Olcott

Olcott6-4-11.jpg

Rochester

Rochester6-4-11.jpg

Oswego

Oswego6-4-11.jpg

All of them (around the great lakes) picked it up in the same time period.

Here’s Erie PA.

eriepa6-4-11.jpg

Yes we had a drastic barometer change & yes there were some major upwellings on the lake But what’s really interesting is that a volcano erupted down Chile way (South America) and had many (230) earthquakes associated with it (same time period).

http://www.volcanolive.com/news.html

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Interesting, FX and FISHINMAN saw and reported a rogue 4 foot wave on the day they were out at point breeze but it was a different day and probably was a bow wake from a freighter. The fact that all those monitors show the same short period swell on two different lakes points to something that happened wide spread.

Thanks Tom, very intresting thought!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

longline: Thank you for posting the charts, and it surely explains why the water levels rose, and then receded. If the earthquakes in chile effected the Great Lakes

and I was on shore and noticed it, I wonder what it would have been like out on the lake fishing at that time. Thankfully there wasn't any damage, but it is quite a site to see water rise over the shore line and then recede back. Thanks again for the responding post.. layover 22

The harbor water at wrights landing in oswego had the water rise into the parking lot.

the dock where TopGun parks was completely under water, lasted about 15 minutes,

then the water left like pulling a plug in a sink. had smaller surges during the hours after the big one, been going on for a few days.

John

We were on our way back in to Port Bay Saturday at about 2PM and noticed that the water was rushing from the lake into the bay and the bay was very turbulent just inside the channel. This was after a very stiff South wind. The water was rushing though the channel like we were on a good flowing river, not typical. Thought that the freak wind may have pushed a lot of water out of the bay and it was rushing back in to equalize the water levels. Nothing was said on Weather band about this.

we were at chaumont bay for the weekend. while watching my son fishin of the dock we saw the water rising.

no lie, it came up over the breakwall and into the yard, more than a 1 foot rise in about 20 minutes. went down just as fast.

we watched this happen avery few hours for the rest of the day and sunday morning too. amazing stuff....

on the up side, my son caught his first northern pike, and a 12# sheephead on a black mepps.

it was very cool watching him do battle on his ultralight rod.

Just Pm'd musky and he said he didnt launch at that time :lol: , did notice a real strong current flow in olcott after weighin just thought it was runoff from the rain as it was outgoing .. I did feel some rumbling in the boat but it was one of my teammates.. ;(

We were on our way back in to Port Bay Saturday at about 2PM and noticed that the water was rushing from the lake into the bay and the bay was very turbulent just inside the channel. This was after a very stiff South wind. The water was rushing though the channel like we were on a good flowing river, not typical. Thought that the freak wind may have pushed a lot of water out of the bay and it was rushing back in to equalize the water levels. Nothing was said on Weather band about this.

Now tell em what I really said coming thu the chute at 2500 rpms to maintain steerage Andy :o:D