Torpedo weights-pics included

• 4 months later...

Hey Troutman,

I'd like to run these in Alaska next summer.  Will you make me 4 of those 12lb weights?  Will need them shipped to Juneau, AK.  I don't mind to pay some extra if shipping it there costs you more.  Also, do you have a means to plasti dip the weights?  Salmon are sensitive to electric charge, we try not to run any bare metal. 

Drop me a line back when you can.  Mike J

Harvey interested in 4-12.5 lb. torpedo weights shipped, let me know the cost, Thank-you.......PD

I talked to Harvey, he is taking orders, but not until after the deer season. He told me his operation needs to be done outside, so I told him no rush I wouldn't need them till spring. He said if it gives a few better days he would try to get it done. On that note I told him I have the 12#ers don't worry about it till spring and he was very happy with that. I couldn't believe how cheap they ship less than $15.00 and I ordered the 16lbs'ers. I'd pm him with your order!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Troutman,

I'd like to run these in Alaska next summer.  Will you make me 4 of those 12lb weights?  Will need them shipped to Juneau, AK.  I don't mind to pay some extra if shipping it there costs you more.  Also, do you have a means to plasti dip the weights?  Salmon are sensitive to electric charge, we try not to run any bare metal. 

Drop me a line back when you can.  Mike J

I painted my 16 # 'ers with the tool coating from Walmart . Comes in a pull top can yellow or black I believe . Two coats and a whole season with no bare metal showing  . Stuff was like 5 bucks and one can was more than enough for 2 weights  You could easily do four on one can .

I painted my 16 # 'ers with the tool coating from Walmart . Comes in a pull top can yellow or black I believe . Two coats and a whole season with no bare metal showing  . Stuff was like 5 bucks and one can was more than enough for 2 weights  You could easily do four on one can .

Thanks for sharing your idea!! That's a good idea even for if the weight swings against the boat, for a no chip of the paint. !!! Oh how does that stuff spray?? To nice flat, smooth surface, not a undercoat finish? Rough & bumpy

Thanks for sharing your idea!! That's a good idea even for if the weight swings against the boat, for a no chip of the paint. !!! Oh how does that stuff spray?? To nice flat, smooth surface, not a undercoat finish? Rough & bumpy

didnt try spraying you would need to thin the coating to spray it. It goes on smooth and has a flat finish very tough stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

didnt try spraying you would need to thin the coating to spray it. It goes on smooth and has a flat finish very tough stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United[/quote

OOHH I didn't comprehend correctly what I read!! I now see "It comes in a {pull top can}" SORRY !!! Thought spray top can!! My BAD!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United[/quote

OOHH I didn't comprehend correctly what I read!! I now see "It comes in a {pull top can}" SORRY !!! Thought spray top can!! My BAD!!!!

Pap,

I bought a couple of the torpedo's last year and Lowe's had spray on plast-dip.  I put 3 or 4 coats on and so far so good after a summer of using them.  

Thanks for the info I will get something going on with a coating, the slicker the surface is the less blow back there will be. As of now I just have them painted flat black.

Pap,

I bought a couple of the torpedo's last year and Lowe's had spray on plast-dip. I put 3 or 4 coats on and so far so good after a summer of using them.

Yep, I did that and I also sprayed on their metallic sparkle then finished with clear coat for my 16's.

For some reason I put pink paint on the heads of my 13#ers. Thay all look great.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Yep, I did that and I also sprayed on their metallic sparkle then finished with clear coat for my 16's.

For some reason I put pink paint on the heads of my 13#ers. Thay all look great.

Jeez Scott I never thought of Bedazzling my torpedo's, might have to up my game on these.

I've used the black Plastidip coating for about 20 years or more on my weights and Seth Green sinkers (to avoid handling lead and keep the bottom of the boat from getting marked up) and I used to buy the 1 gal can which lasted for years until the spray can came out. The gallon cans were not only expensive  but the shipping was murder because they are considered hazardous material in shipping.  I just suspend the weights or sinkers from a shrub outside on wire and then spray them and let dry now.  Be aware that things like gasoline will melt or dissolve the stuff if it gets on it.

Edited by Sk8man

Jeez Scott I never thought of Bedazzling my torpedo's, might have to up my game on these.

Remind me to show you these this season. They sparkle awesome in the sun without being real bright like chrome. I was pretty darn happy with my rigger bite last season, but who the heck knows if that was a reason.

I saw this spray plastic paint that looks like a chameleon color, turns black/purple and other is green/dark green and another color, and you can add a clear sparkle, I'll try to find that paint, I looked up spray rubber paint!!

attachicon.gifIMG_20160710_161513318

That's what I used.

Those were some of the cans that I saw, I'll look into my history now, I'm all for black but these were Freaken cool!!

Just look up plastic dip spray chameleon colors,,choose or look what you think you like or dislike. You can get lost in all the colors. I think what FOX did is the best choice unless you want radical? I want to keep my rigger weights out of the pic. and let the fish focus on my riggs!!

Edited by pap

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Troutman I sent ya a pm a few days ago. I need another 2 16#'rs. If anyone knows him, can you pass this along?

I have an order in also, he told me his operation is done outside, and he would give me a buzz when his operation is fired up!!!  He did say if weather permitting he would be making some before the spring. I had a missed call with a NY number so I don't know who it was. He'll pm ya back!!

• 3 weeks later...

I use the 12's for eyes and anything from 50ft to the surface, for deeper fish towards the warmer seasons I'm getting 16lbs torpedos.  When Harvey gets a few nice days, he's going to make some. He pm'ed me saying so this week. So doesn't look good for the of the week ;( Maybe next week I thought I saw highs in the 40's to maybe 50* Tuesday -- Wednesday of next week might make for a window of opportunity what we need is a week of sunshine :star: to boost morale !!