Thoughts on this Pro/AM Situation

I would like to get some feedback on a situation that occurred this past weekend that has been kinda knawing at me a little. How would you handle the following scenario or your thoughts?

Having had a great 1st day and being only 6 points or so out of 1st place we were feeling very good. We had a solid bite on bigger fish both on practice on Friday and during our 1st day on Saturday. We felt it was a Pro/Am dream, no boats around and a good pattern going.

Now the boat that we partnered up with put one of their team members on our boat on Saturday and then switched them out on Sunday. I have no problem with at as it would be nice to be on a team and get in on the action as well. The other boat had on OK box but were way down in the standings.

Heres what has botherd me as well as my team mates. Sunday we ran to our numbers and set up fish. Had a big one the dipsy right away that we lost and the caught a couple around 7 lbs. I look behind the boat and see this other boat following us to the point we turn NW its turns NW, we turn NE it does the same. We had trouble getting back on our lines a couple times. At this point I cannot belive this boat was so blatant in coming in to work our spot. The observer they provided apologized numerous times,even stating he could not believe his team was doing this. This went on for over an hour and I finally had enough and pointed out and was able to get some distance between us and go on to have a nice day. I have fished these things for a number of years and have never had this happen before. I know everbody wants to catch fish, and the money aspect does bring out the worst in people at times but my personal thoughts were this went a little to far. The captain of the boat even told me at the captains meeting when we were paired that not to worry they wouldn't do anything to screw us up as he asked me if it was OK for his observer and his one teammate to communicate, I agreeded . I took him at his word which turned out to be the wrong thing to do.

We fish these things to have a good time, nobody wants controversy. I thought about saying something to the other captain but I thought I might loose my temper so I thought better of it.

I talked to other fisherman to get their feedback and received answers from, drop your stuff down to 150 feet and mow his stuff off too you should have a talk with this guy. My group fellow fisherman& friends agreed it wasjust wrong and not a very sportsman like thing to do.

I can see if the bite is inside and you are all working the same water. This place was offshore and we had nobody with in 6 or 7 miles for 2 days. After the 2nd day our observer said they had been almost 10 miles on the 1st day. So I am done rambling, it just really bother me.

I would like to hear some feedback on this. Plus should I tell other boats that might end up paired with this guy. Because if you have a good 1st day be rest assured you will have some company on day 2. Thanks for listening and I look forward to reading your replies.

PS: The other boat didn't finish in the money

The captain told me they were father /son duo that they just talk & text to screw around with each other. That s when he told me they would be cool and not cause us any problems. The communication thing during the day wasn't an issue. I think it was the Dad that observed for us day 1 talking his team into going to our area on day 2. I know there is nothing in the rules about it but maybe there should be or the tournament committee come up with something different. I don't know, it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I think other teams should know about these guys if thats they the way they want tp play it. It feels better to vent on here a little anyway.

Their was good fish inside :lol: , we had to run almost 1 mile to find them fri,sat,and sunday. real gas burner,,,,,Well lesson learned the hard way, kinda unethical ,but the temptation of folowing a good boat ,specialy in a derby is pretty great. The close thing ant too good, but whats behind ya ya done missed anyway. A radio call should be all it takes to get him to back off a tad.Or a old ten color with a floating lure.,,, :lol: . With 12 boats within 30 points after the first day left the field open for many. we outfished 6 but finished 6th due to the rule infraction. Charters have to put up with crap like that all the time ,but if ya ant in their spread they dont mind a well clear pass , and to shdow from the side at a few hundred yards unless their workin a way-point will be accepted ,But dont mess up their spot if ya followed them to it just slide one way or the other.their is a lot of "fishy"water out there and when ya do it on yer own youll be able to buffy fish all ya want................. :o ................. til a blowboat pulls up to ya 10 miles offshore :@

Andy the observer and team member had to talk because they did not sign a NO COMMUNICATION AGREEMENT. Why follow a boat if you have NO idea what they are catching (both good & bad ). Slab that is a terrible situation that happened to you but remember it is you/team VERSUS the lake ! (told to me many years ago by wiley tourn. pro).

Good luck

Runnin Rebel

Jerry

Andy the observer and team member had to talk because they did not sign a NO COMMUNICATION AGREEMENT. Why follow a boat if you have NO idea what they are catching (both good & bad ). Slab that is a terrible situation that happened to you but remember it is you/team VERSUS the lake ! (told to me many years ago by wiley tourn. pro).

Good luck

Runnin Rebel

Jerry

I hear what you are saying but the No Comm thing didn't come into play. Their observer from day 1 knew how we did on the 1st day because he was on the boat. The 2nd day he was a fisherman on the other boat and I guess persuaded those guys on his team to fish where had did well the day before. I just thought it was a little bush league thats all. I will try to protect myself a little better in the future, but what can you do, in most cases the observers are going to talk to their team members in the evening unless they are an impartial observer that just signs up to make a few bucks and enjoy a couple days on the water.

Slab,

We talked about this during the weight in. The no comm rule only restricts comm during the assigned fishing times

(5:30AM - 1PM) for the Am division and (6am - 2pm) for the Pro Division. There is no way of policing comm during non fishing hours. I am sure every team discussed what other teams did and where they fished in both divisions. Running a boat up you exhaust is unethical. Everyone drops a few fish from time to time. You yourself said who dropped a nice one first thing. That fish could of made a difference. My team had some spit a few hooks in their face as well and would have moved us up as well but we did our best and at least we can say we outfished 19 other teams. You guys finished 4th, well done.

You should be happy on your accomplishments and look at what ya did and how to improve for next year.Keep your emotions at check and have fun.

Everyone knows there are rules that need to changed to draw more competers but there will always be idiot out there that can not fish on his own skills and needs someone else to put them on fish. All you can do is pick your grid you intend to fish, decide on a program and live or dye with it. Thats what it's all about....oh and HAVE FUN.

Howie

You should have got right in behind him, maybe he would have taken the hint and moved off. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander so they say.That's why its called a Pro/AM,the pro's wouldn't do that. :o Would they? :lol:

Appears there were plenty cases of men behaving badly. From the loud swearing and threats over a friggin' piece of paper......which you didn't have to sign, to a team yelling the "N" word across Olcott harbor, rule infractions etc. etc. Maybe we should follow the format of the Wilson Harbor Invitational and make these an invite only event.

Its all good. I guess I just needed to vent a little. I know that is not how we would or will ever behave. We had a great time,fantasic fishing,beautiful weather and I refuse to let someone get in the way of that. Its water under the bridge. Thanks for the replies ;)