Sandy Creek Shootout

any kind of a head count for the tourny yet

Scott, Keith, or Rob lets see who the competition is, after all captain speedo and team vasiline need to know if Ray K is bring team Buffy over from the Oak :poolparty::poolparty::poolparty:

I added another team to the list on page 1. I'm getting $ tomorrow evening from 2 teams when I go fishing. :yes: A ton more teams talk about it all the time, but just haven't signed up yet. They should start coming in pretty steady soon.

Here is a list of sponsors so far and I must say it's pretty impressive for a little tournament at Sandy Creek!

1.Northern King

2.Legendary Products

3.Dreamweaver

4.A-TOM-MIK

5.Blood Run Tackle

6.Captains Cove

7.Yeck

8.Savant

9.ITO Flies

10.Moonshine Lures

11.H.S. Die

12.Lake Ontario Outdoors

13.Grea Lakes Angler

Looks like all teams are going to walk away with some quality stuff. :clap:

It's nice to see things like this going on BUT what about the average person that does not fish every day and then they go up against charter Captains who goes out almost every day and know where the fish are and what there hitting on. That puts the average guy pretty much out of it unless they get very lucky and hook into one. Or is this just for charter captains? This is a good thing to have but. Just a view we should look at. I know a few guys that would of gotten in but when they seen the charter captains he said no way that they can compete against them. Thanks, just there views.

Camo, last year 6 of the top 7 boats were private boats. There were at least 10 charter captains in last years tournament. The captains really don't have a big advantage in this type of format. There's a rod limit and its based on your 4 biggest fish, catching the big fish is a much luck as skill most days. Hope you change your mind, this is a fun tournament where you get to meet a lot of the guys on LOU. There some nice cash prizes and lots of sponsor gifts this year.

One reason we are keeping it at just Sandy Creek is so it stays as fair as possible. Just because a few boats are charters doesn't mean they are better than some of the recreation boats. I average 5 charters a year, I'm basically like the average guy. I believe out of 29 boats last year, maybe 6 were charter boats and I think only 1 cashed.

We are putting this on every year to have a little fun,meet new people and maybe win some $ or prizes. Everyone takes home product in this tourny. Thier will never be any divisions, open water or shore divisions. This is hard enough for the 4 of us to put this tourny together the way it is and we don't make a dime. We also throw in our $100 entry too.

I hope this clears some things up.

Scott

camo521,

Like Keith said, this format does not give charter boats and edge. This format has been used at the Pro Ams, Oak orchard 3 fish derbies and other derbies around the lake. Lots of times rec guys beat out charter captains. Putting 4 BIG fish in the cooler is a tough task captain or not. Just because a captian is out every day does not give him that much of an edge. Things change on the big lake EVERY minute. Here today gone tomorrow. You just got to be able to adjust to what mother nature and Lake Ontario throws at you.

Camo,

Last year I felt the same way you do, however we made the commitment to fish it because of who was running it knowing it would fun, fair, and a way to meet a bunch of LOU guys. Needless to say, we had a blast even though the lake conditions were the worst I have ever fished in. We were one of the weekend warrior boats that cashed, and had just as much fun with the many raffle prizes, joking around, and meeting some great folks. This is a fun tournament with great organization, prizes, food, and people. Unfortunately, I will be unable to fish it this year due to a prior commitment I just can't get out of. Give it a try and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Shawn

Camo.....

I'm not a full time captain either.....

My land job is 4 days on , two days off on the graveyard shift. It allows me middle of the week trips plus numerous afternoons. May I remind you that sandy is a smaller port and there are not many charter guys out of there. I believe sandy has more rec fisherman than any other port. Too each his own though.....I will be there for sure....good times and lots of ball busting to boot. Hope you decide to partake.....

started out with 250 boats but after some of the post here i think its down to 2...

after back to back proams its gonna be tuff to find another play weekend ,too bad it couldnt be scheduled during the summer LOC (next year) sorta double dip derby..

thats a good point ray...actually last yr. it was 3fer. the event coincided with the last day of the orleans derby and the first weekend of the fall l.o.c. ...we kind of liked that. oh well......i guess change is what it's all about these days. :(

started out with 250 boats but after some of the post here i think its down to 2...

after back to back proams its gonna be tuff to find another play weekend ,too bad it couldnt be scheduled during the summer LOC (next year) sorta double dip derby..

thats a good point ray...actually last yr. it was 3fer. the event coincided with the last day of the orleans derby and the first weekend of the fall l.o.c. ...we kind of liked that. oh well......i guess change is what it's all about these days. :(

Wouldn't you rather have an extra tournament weekend? I would understand your point if guys were coming from a long way away. AND if we had kept it in late August we risk the posibility of have bad weather. ie: last year. AND we can't have it the weekend of July fourth. So that leaves the 2 weekends between the orleans pro am and the 4th of July, but wait, we can't have it the weekend after the orleans pro am either because it's back to back pro ams. Now were down to one,not to mention we are at the mercy of our personal scheduals and the mercy of the place we have the wiegh in. Oh yeah and June usually isn't the best month for fishing either.If anyone else wants to take over and do a better job with EVERYTHING that goes into it, then please be my guest. I would then be able to fish till the end and not have to worry about getting the wiegh in ready for the all the teams. :yes:

sorry scott if i ruffled your feathers....but everyone thought that it was a great success and good time last yr. so what is with all this nonsence about changing the date from what it was last yr? a month earlier? can't go out of braddocks this yr.(as we did last yr. and got a 2nd. place finish.).3 fish box vs. 4 fish box. a hundred v. 75 bucks entry fee.?....the last 2 items are no big deal and i would even agree with but the first 2 i just don't get. how do you even call this the 2nd annual sandy creek shootout without putting the words improvised or modified in there somewhere. again...everybody was satisfied last yr......why change anything?

good luck to everyone fishing this event and it really is a well run tournament and good time along with a great buffet and entertaining awards host.....

Lbg...

Interesting post....however I feel that I must respond.

Regarding the change in date...let's look at last years shootout date: yes it coincided with two different tournaments....yes it was in the alleged "prime time" of august. Now the reality....the fishing sucked. One king weighed in...really in August? The weather was not very hospitable as well. Now let's look at this year....yes it is on a non derby day...however I would bet money that guys will be on the water anyway. July has always been a great month for kings....ever since I can remember and I've been fishing the lake since the very first ESLO in the 70s. Let's look at the weather in July....not too shabby, plus the fishing has been pretty darn good to. Not a bad call as far as changing the date if you ask me.

So you guys can't go out of Braddocks this year....ok....I can't go out of the river.....just because you can't launch out of Braddocks, doesn't mean you can't fish there. There are plenty of launches available( as previously posted). I have to run my boat all the way from the river and find a dock on the creek. And you think trailering a boat from braddocks to sandy is a pain? If you wanted to still fish Braddocks there is nothing stopping you. In fact I'm probably going to fish it, and I would trade you fuel bills in a second. There have been a lot of inquires from oak boats as well as River Boats about being able to leave out of their ports. I don't blame the tournament organizers for making it Sandy only to avoid any issues.

Now the 4 fish issue....I don't understand the problem with changing the tournament bag limit. Especially with how the fishing has been lately.

The raise in the tournament fees is a potential good thing....first off the extra twenty five bucks is not going to bust the bank and the increased payouts will be nice. If you have four guys in the boat...it costs everyone 25 bucks plus fuel... No big deal.

Without question the changes have more pros than cons. Unfortunately not everyone can be accommodated.

I welcome the new changes and I look forward to meeting guys at the weigh in.....tight lines guys......

Bottom line is if you don't like the rules or the way this tourney is run, go start your own and see what it takes. These 4 guys put a lot of their time and energy into making this as fair as possible for everyone and like Scott said he can't even fish the whole day so that he can be back to do the weigh :( in so see how much you would like that :wondering:

I am still up in the air as to whether I can even fish it partly because of work and also because the 2 guys I fished with last year (placed 6th I believe :clap: ) Shawn and my friend Kirk have prior commitments and can't fish I just found out. It really was a fun time which is what it really is all about anyways isn't it :)

If anybody has room for a guy (PM me here) I would love to jump on board as it looks like I should be able to pull off the time off from work that morning/early afternoon :)

Did just see the big fish Sunday thing though and should be able to that :yes:

LBG,

The derby committee met a couple of time to discuss all the changes we implemented this year, we even went so far as to discuss potential changes with people outside of the derby committee. Unfortunately, there are a million ways to run a derby, we could have a one big fish derby, we could have a $ 50.00 entry fee, we could have allowed any size lake trout. Take a moment to think about all these things and your head will spin, we have had some heated discussion over lake trout believe me.

The elimination of Braddocks was because it is impossible for the derby officals to police Braddocks. Please don't take this the wrong way but it would be very easy for two boats fishing out of Braddocks to "combine" coolers at the end of the day. Bottom line is we didn't have the resources to keep an eye an things the way we wanted therefore we eliminated Braddocks. Also if we include Braddocks then where do we stop, next the Genny guys will be mad, some of the Oak guys are already mad.

The increased entry fee was to help boost the prizes. I'm sure you would have been happier taking home an extra $ 300 or $ 400 for your second place finish last year. We didn't feel that an extra $ 25.00 would stop any one from fishing this derby.

Regarding the date, we decided on a July date because the fishing off Sandy is usually more consistent in July, read the reports or hopefully you have been out the last two weeks. Lots of big kings being caught now. August can be hit or miss depending on wind, weather, etc. One big king for 29 boats last year proved that. The Pro Am dates played into our choice of dates as well. Scheduling the same day as the last day of the Orleans Derby put some time constraints on our derby. We had to make sure we had things close to wrapped up in case anyone fishing the Sandy Derby had to get to the Orleans award ceremony. It's nice to fish three derbies at once, but this year the Sandy Derby gives you an extra few hours before you have to weigh in. The North Star Gun Club schedule also plays into when we can schedule the derby, they aren't available for 100 fisherman every weekend.

We went with four fish because we expect a lot of big kings this year, it gives a crew trying to win one of the trout prizes an option, catch 3 nice kings then go for a big brown or steelhead to take top prize in those divisions.

Again as Scott posted, there's a lot of work that goes into getting a derby together, and there is no way we can make everyone happy. Every year we will look at the results of the derby and take suggestions, we will evaluate things and may make changes as we go. I'm sorry you don't like the changes we made this year, I heard a lot of positive feedback from others who have entered.

For everyone else remember the last day to enter using Pay Pal is Thursday night. You can still get in Friday if you can track down Scott, Rob, Mike or myself on Friday and give us cash. We will try to help you on Friday but no promises.

LBG,

The derby committee met a couple of time to discuss all the changes we implemented this year, we even went so far as to discuss potential changes with people outside of the derby committee. Unfortunately, there are a million ways to run a derby, we could have a one big fish derby, we could have a $ 50.00 entry fee, we could have allowed any size lake trout. Take a moment to think about all these things and your head will spin, we have had some heated discussion over lake trout believe me.

The elimination of Braddocks was because it is impossible for the derby officals to police Braddocks. Please don't take this the wrong way but it would be very easy for two boats fishing out of Braddocks to "combine" coolers at the end of the day. Bottom line is we didn't have the resources to keep an eye an things the way we wanted therefore we eliminated Braddocks. Also if we include Braddocks then where do we stop, next the Genny guys will be mad, some of the Oak guys are already mad.

The increased entry fee was to help boost the prizes. I'm sure you would have been happier taking home an extra $ 300 or $ 400 for your second place finish last year. We didn't feel that an extra $ 25.00 would stop any one from fishing this derby.

Regarding the date, we decided on a July date because the fishing off Sandy is usually more consistent in July, read the reports or hopefully you have been out the last two weeks. Lots of big kings being caught now. August can be hit or miss depending on wind, weather, etc. One big king for 29 boats last year proved that. The Pro Am dates played into our choice of dates as well. Scheduling the same day as the last day of the Orleans Derby put some time constraints on our derby. We had to make sure we had things close to wrapped up in case anyone fishing the Sandy Derby had to get to the Orleans award ceremony. It's nice to fish three derbies at once, but this year the Sandy Derby gives you an extra few hours before you have to weigh in. The North Star Gun Club schedule also plays into when we can schedule the derby, they aren't available for 100 fisherman every weekend.

We went with four fish because we expect a lot of big kings this year, it gives a crew trying to win one of the trout prizes an option, catch 3 nice kings then go for a big brown or steelhead to take top prize in those divisions.

Again as Scott posted, there's a lot of work that goes into getting a derby together, and there is no way we can make everyone happy. Every year we will look at the results of the derby and take suggestions, we will evaluate things and may make changes as we go. I'm sorry you don't like the changes we made this year, I heard a lot of positive feedback from others who have entered.

For everyone else remember the last day to enter using Pay Pal is Thursday night. You can still get in Friday if you can track down Scott, Rob, Mike or myself on Friday and give us cash. We will try to help you on Friday but no promises.

Well put Keith! :yes:

We had a few bugs last year to work out but we are hoping with the changes made, that this years Shootout will be better then the first. The changes made all derived from opinions shared from those who participated in the first year of the shootout. Originally we wanted the shootout last year to be in July but multiple factors kept us from doing so. July and early august are prime time for sandy creek so it only makes sense to hold the tourny during that time and Im hoping that we can continue to host the tourny on that weekend from here on out. The decision to not to include other ports is a tough one but ultimately it is the SANDY CREEK shootout. I was actually against opening the port of Braddocks to the tourny last year but i was actually out voted. Policing more than 1 port is not something we are looking to do and including Braddocks only gets guys to question why their home port also isnt included. Teams leaving from the same port all have the same water to choose from and all risk the same fishing time by traveling to find "better water". Creating a level playing field and creating a format that gives everyone an equal opportunity makes for a great tournament and keeps it going strong.

This tournament has been a idea we have had for years and im sure others have had the idea before us. It was created based on the lack of and the desire for a tournament style format from our home port. Our ultimate goal is to create the best tournament we can for Sandy Creek, so any input from participants is welcomed and please feel free to email me.

I don't see want the problem with the date is at all!! i don't fish out of Sandy creek but i like the idea of tourment(due to the cost,time, and the fact i don't need to hire a lawer to figure out the rules) so i'm planning on trailing my boat to sandy and fishing it, and i know last year i wanted to fish the tourment but wasn't able to because there was already 2 derbys going on. SO I SAY THANK YOU TO ALL THAT ARE INVOLED WITH THIS TOURMENT FOR THE DATE CHANGE AND ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE TO CREATE THIS TOURMENT.

I would like to add that charter fishing and tourney fishing can be very different styles of fishing. You talk to these full time captains and they keep their expenses as low as possible to turn a profit. That means not always going where the big fish are, and settling for whats closer. When you lessen the amount of fish needed for a "tourney limit" it gives anyone a chance at the top spot. I could see the argument for a weekend warrior having to bring in 12 fish on the pro side of a pro am, but 4 fish for these one day shoot outs really levels the playing field in my opinion.

We are in no way a full time operation. We only fish on the weekends unless we are pre-fishing for a tourney. Look at Screamer and what they have done! They don't EVER pre-fish for more than 1 day before each pro am, and they kicked the crap out of full time guys who are prefishing 3 and 4 days before a pro am.

Keith, Scott, Rob thank you for all your hard work and effort you've put into the Shootout I'm looking forward to a great weekend of fishing and far more important an afternoon getting to meet the guys that that call Sandy home port