What’s the deal with The new Rhys Davis/Familiar Bite strips

I know for a fact that they will be available . I will let the owner of the company announce when and where . I have seen them and they look great can't wait to try them . I'll post when I have a report.

I have heard this rumor also. If it's true then it is excellent news!!

Matthew it is no rumor. I fished them during the Niagara Pro-Am and Orleans. The produced the 2nd largest Salmon I caught on Niagara big fish friday 26 pounds and some change. They also were a hot item in our spread all four days. I heard Narbys in Oak Orchard may have them in stock. One shipment arrived last weekend but it sold out fast. Sharon at Narbys should be getting more in REEL soon.

I mainly used them in Rhys Davis heads, Familiar Bite Sushi Flys and Twinkie style rigs.

GOOD STUFF!!!!

Click On Pictures for a LARGE VIEW

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00182-1.jpg

DSC00181-1.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

These Familiar Bite Herring Strips are new to the market this season. Hard to find right now. IMO the are the best out there since the old Rhys Davis Strips. The sushi fly have been around for a few years and twinkles even longer. The strips fit the Rhys Davis strips perfect and the smell fresh and hold up in the water very very well.

Mark

So, if I wanted to pick some of these up (rigged) I would add the meat and then pull behind a dipsy and flasher? any reason not to run these behing a 42nd spinny or mountain dew crush spinny?

Does the baithead have to match the spinny color-wise?

Any advantage to these over the whole baits from familiar bite?

Any tips for someone who has never used meat?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt;

Yes you can run behind a spiny or flasher, 11 inch flasher is my personnel favorite. I also run them clean off the rigger. The bait head does not have to match flasher. There is no advantage or disadvantage between the two baits hole or strips, energy dog has its days.

Put a slight bend in the bait to get the slow roll. I also run them without a bend.

I like to run it as my deepest set away( 41 degree water temp *ish) from the other lures. Have caught big salmon out of temp also.

These Baits just catch fish period and usually my biggest.

Mark

Tried to get B&E to get them, but owner wanted nothing to do with getting anything new in. He's a charmer! :$ Warren's in Sodus has put a decent order in for both bait and sushi flies, and I think the whole bait and Rhys Davis strip heads too. :yes:

I haven't had a chance to try the new Familiar Bite / Rhys davis herring strips yet , I have some in my freezer , just need to find the time to get out . The old RD strips could be used and refrozen , I have used the same strip several times on different trips . I wasn't too concered with food poisoning , the smell alone stopped me from ever tasting them. I hope the new cut bait is as good as the old RD . It looks and smells like the old stuff , if it stands up to trolling I think we are back in the meat business.

We have used it on several occasions with refreezing in between and it held up very well. After a couple times though you may need to add a bit of salt to toughen them back up if they get mooshy. Most of the time they have been gobbled up and we haven't had any to refreeze! 8)

Tim;

There has been another change to the Familiar Bite. Now packaged in blisters and snack size ziplocks. The brine/salt is now in baggie for freshness and less spilling if brine. I hear Warrens in sodus has a lot of Familiar Bite Sushi Flys in stock as well as the repackaged bait. Have you seen or tryed it yet? Firmer strips.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Haven't gotten any of the newly packaged bait yet, but will have it within next day or two. Warren's does have a large selection of the sushi flies and did have the bait strips, although I am sure they are gone by now! 8) Good to hear the new packaging is helping to keep the strips firm!

Hey Tim, We have received everything except the fillets and they will be in sometime this afternoon. Whole bait in both sizes, strips, every color fly available, bait heads, bait rigs, etc. I hope to actually use them this coming weekend, we'll see. If your going out this coming weekend give me a shout we can stay in touch, I might even let you know where the hot spots are !!!!!!! lol.

Hey Tim, We have received everything except the fillets and they will be in sometime this afternoon. Whole bait in both sizes, strips, every color fly available, bait heads, bait rigs, etc. I hope to actually use them this coming weekend, we'll see. If your going out this coming weekend give me a shout we can stay in touch, I might even let you know where the hot spots are !!!!!!! lol.

Nice shop BTW.....we were in there this weekend. Ya got us for some coin!

Mark,

Any word on when Walter will have them available on the GLTS website? All that shows as available right now on t he website are the whole alewives and I already have a bunch of those.

Thanks,

Tim