I/O merc cruiser - shifter question

S * K

Just rebuilt my motor last year and trying to get her running for this year. For some reason my throttle cable for the carberator will accelerate but won't come back or decrease speed it just hangs up. I can unhook it and it will move freely with no problem with the shifter. I have messed around with different settings on the side of the carberator but that didn't work either and I had to adjust the forward and reverse to compensate to shift. Does anyone have any suggestions. What makes me mad is when I had her apart I never touched anything just for that reason. I tried another carberator setting but I was only getting like half pwr as I couldn't get her on plain as she was full throttle but bogging down. I could tell it wasn't opening all the way as i moved it to the closer setting thus cutting my throttle by about 1/2.

I know its a quick fix for someone that knows what they are doing but thats not me as I waive the white towel. Next question is who do you recommend in the Buffalo area. Friend of my friend was working on it for me and he is good however you know how it goes when you involve friends always too busy to help you out. I have been burned by a couple unmentioned dealers on my other boats with a yamaha and johnson outboard motors and want to try and elimate some of the unmentionable dealers. The I/O guys are new to me so I want to try and avoid the learning curve.

Does the thottle on the carb return to the idle position when you bring the contol back? Your certain it's the cable and not the carb? If its the cable is there a way to re anchor the cable. Maybe it's missing a clamp to hold it in psition?

Yep, carberator works fine as far as I can tell. I also thought about replaceing the spring as well but the tension and seems ok. Throttle cable moves forward but won't come back when connected to carb. When i put it on another setting for the carberator it moved fine but I didn't get enough movement in the carberator for enough gas. It has to be on the far setting for it to have enough range for full throttle. I agree either something with the carberator or shifter is just out of whack. I know its something minor. I am going to call dry drock tomorrow and see when he can get me in. Summers wasting away what little we have had. I enjoyed fishing the summer derby last year had a couple steelies on the board but it ain't going to happen this year. I apprectiate all the suggestions. keep them coming i was hoping someone else might of had the same problem and would know the fix :(

Sounds like a kink or more than likely a corroded throttle cable if the throttle linkage moves freely by hand when the cable is unhooked. Unhook it (throttle cable) at the carb and see if if the inner cable moves back and force as you move the throttle at the stick.

Just made this repair to my boat similiar problem. Go with the extreme bend cables $25 bucks and you'll be amazed what a difference it makes. There is also an adjustment on the throttle control at the helm on some boxes.