i-creek 06/11

Ive managed to find some pretty good, productive spots on the irondequoit creek.... one spot yielded large brown trout and a few smaller ones, and a 12lb carp. a nice fat yellow perch in there for good measure too... I went to the stream expecting to see carp, suckers, panfish and possibly some smallmouths as you usually would find this time of year, but i was delighted to find a school of browns- big and small- that seemed to be pretty active, feeding off the top. Trout Magnet jigs and numer 0 gold panther martins both proved productive on trout... the carp and perch were caught off sweet corn weighted to the bottom just past the falls at linear park.

Since ive started fishing the I-creek a few years ago i think the number of species you can find in it has grown alot- on top of browns, steelhead and rainbows i see more and more warm water species like bass and pike making the trip upstream... Only downside is in the fall the salmon run is well overfished and alot of snagging goes on =/ Either way, its definately worth making a trip to either linear park or the point where i-creek meets allens creek just by 441... both spots are hugely productive for both trout and salmon (in the fall) and huge fun carp, bass, bullhead, panfish and the odd pike here and there during the summer.

Hopefully the fall/winter will see a larger run of salmon, last years was relatively small and beat up compared to years prior, though IMHO the steelhead fishing is only getting better, especially late in the fall when the snow starts flying.

0611011501.jpg

0522011103.jpg

0517011427.jpg

0512011906.jpg

Nice report - I'm surprised at the browns this late in the season. I live near the north end and did well late this spring closer to Ellison Park. I have to get out for a little carp fishing after work one of these nights - always fun on a noodle rod with 4 lb test.

yeah...ive been going there at least once a week since april 1... april and may saw only sporadic trout activity... though there were large schools of rockbass, carp and smallmouth...

Now all of a sudden, the first week of june, a huge run of browns makes its way upstream... Pretty late to be spring fish... and way to early to be a fall run. I think the constant weather changes weve had the past few days have played havoc with the water temp and has tricked some of the trout into thinking its later in the year than it really is and has caused them to become alot more active and run upstream.... either that or more fish were recently stocked at a point downstream- though many of the ones ive been catching are a little large to be hatchery fish.

went today again and got a few more.

0612011357.jpg

Unknown.jpg

0612011455.jpg

i guess a school of really active browns is enough to hold me over until salmon and steelhead start moving. :beer:

It was stocked last week with browns.

thats what ive heard... ive been getting a nice mix of both stocked and wild browns at linear park and behind panorama plaza...

the hatchery fish are all pretty much your typical cookie-cutter fish... all from 9-11"...pretty colorful...

The wild browns though are either big silver fish in from the lake or big, dark brown fish that grew up their entire lives in the stream....and theyre definately an unexpected treat when you hook one amongst a thousand small hatchery fish. Biggest one ive had yet was a real silvery 20 inch fish... thought he was a steelhead at first.