First Carp!

idn713

Hey guys I took my little bro down the the erie canal for some newbie carp fishing, because I wanted him to tangle with a nice fish rather than a tiny sunny. So armed with my own vanilla soaked corn we chummed up a nice shoreline section, cast our corn and waited. Lo and behold we got a few nice rips but the carp would drop the bait and we were getting frustrated. I assumed the hooks were too apparent to the sensitive mouths so I loaded each hook up with all the corn it could hold and it did the trick. My little bros line fired and the fight was on! After some coaching and reminding him to fight like the river monsters guy, my little bro landed this beauty carp in 15 min on 8lb test! The smile says it all :)

252548_10150328882664972_834579971_10004148_815655_n.jpg

what kind of setup are you using? try to setup a sliding/slip sinker rig with a 3 foot leader to the hook. Set something on your line that slides on your line like them old red and white bobbers(but it cant pinch the line , push the metal hook on the bottom of the bobber out and turn it alittle so it sits on the bobber so that the line can go freely threw it) put it half way up on your rod so the bobber hanging down takes up the slack in the line and keeps the line tight. let it take up 2 or 3 feet of line so when you get a bite you will see your bobber go up or down and the fish dont feel a thing. You can use the metal shower curtain rings (like from walmart) you want them to be hevy enough to take up the slack and light enough they dont feel it. When I use the curtain rings i paint them white or yellow so i can see them at night better.

Nice fish though he looks really happy!

The slider rig is exactly what we are doing! I actually got a few more fish today for my younger brothers and what I ended up doing was splitting a green twig halfway open and pinching it on the line. When the fish pickup the stick pops on the first guide and the fish just keep taking line. Worked pretty dang well but I like the bobber idea!

The bobber works good you just have to make sure its an older one with the 2 holes in the bottom of the bobber so you can spin the bottom hook thin sideways so the line slides threw it. I always used the smaller bobbers maybe 1 inch or 1 1/ 2 inch diameter. Only thing is if you set the hook with the bobber on it could wrap around the rod. Soi tied a hair clip to the bobber to clip on my line so when I pick up the rod the clip slides off the line

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 3 weeks later...