Temperature and speed probe

I have a sub-troll and depend on it a lot. However, after getting TR1 Gold auto-pilot installed for my kicker motor, I've discovered that the two systems are not compatable. With the AP turned on, the sub-troll does not give readings. Works great when used by itself.

Trying to get both to work at the same time is a work in progress. Others have had the same situation, I've discovered. Did not know this at time of AP purchase. Some boats have not had the problem.

Have not heard of this interference problem with the depth raider. Without AP, either system will help with catch rate.

I'll let you know if I ever put my probe down that far. The DR has given me rock solid readings down as far as I have ever run it, which was 160 feet last season.

I put 300' of coated cable on the probe rigger this year so some time this summer I'll have to experiment and see how far down I can put it.

FWIW, the boat I fished the WHI and Niagara Pro Am on had an X4 and the numbers on that weren't as bad as my old POS 840, but they still jumped around a lot more than my DR.

Tim

I thought all three of these units were only good for 200ft. I am shying away from the x4 because of cost and the fact if i loose the sensor the other 2 would be cheaper. I am a novice to this guys. I do appreciate the advise.

I am experimenting with running 2 Speed/Temp units this year. We'll see how valuable that is later this year. You won't be able to do this with X4's. I am running 2 Sub Trolls. I bought the second one used for a backup if needed, but decided to run it.

I'm agreeing with Tim.... I fished a boat this weekend with an x4 probe and the old display and ducer.... and there was a fair amount of bounce in the downspeed number.... with the occasional nonsense number..... I don't see that on my DR..... and haven't seen it on other boats with Subtroll units.....

I swore off FishHawk when I called CS to see if they could help me troubleshoot my 840....... "yes, we can help...... send us the unit and $100 and we'll tell you what's wrong".... I couldn't order a Depth Raider fast enough.

A few facts to ponder:

To each their own, I use an X-4 with a Garmin GHC 10 autopilot & the numbers stay rock steady all the time down as far as 300'. The X-4 uses regular rigger cable, so there is no coated cable with it's associated huge blow back due to it's fat diameter, not to mention the problems associated with the coating being compromised, & the associated antenna problems with the wet towel.

Enjoy what you have!

Tight lines & full coolers!

I have run a Depth Raider for the last 4 years and I love it. I added an X-4 this year as I needed a second temp system and I could run it on any rigger. It took some time to dial in the X-4 as it wasnt stellar out of the package, but a few calls to them and it was working. Interesting little tid bit there is .4 speed difference between the raider and the X-4, and I confirmed this with another boat that also has both. I know my program catches fish at 1.9 on the raider and that is 2.3 to 2.4 on the X-4. Food for thought. When it comes right down to it speed is relative as long as you know whatever unit you have on your boat works for you and your program. The coated cable does not bother me and has relativley little blow back with a 15pd shark. I run the new 180pd stainless High Performance cable from Scotty and 15pd Sharks all the riggers are equal. Again this is the Chevy, Ford, Dodge Discussion there are pros and cons to all the units. I will say this there maybe something to the red blinking light on the X-4 probe.... That rigger has been HOT!!! It could be the bait or the probe only time will tell....

Tall Tails has hit this debate DEAD ON !!!

We have run 2 temp/speed gauges (same time)for years now and Brian is correct on all those numbers/advantages. He was our dockmate at Niagara Pro-Am. IT is all relative! Blow back problems ? NOT AT ALL. We run 6 riggers (most trips mid-June on) on a 10' beam Penn Yan. Our High/Low set involves both probes down 70'-90' AND 130' +++++ same time. If you are ever in Hilton/Hamlin area SANDY CREEK is our home port. We would be happy to let you see try before you buy on our boat.

RUNNIN REBEL

Jerry

Capt. Jerry ive been lookin at running 2 probes could you take me for a 8 hour demo ride too.....................Sunny buffy day of course....the boat i was on this week ran the Raider the speed was so hot dispite the reading on the guage heavy spoons were needed and spinny program was dead ...Its amazing what a few tenths of a mph. will do to a setup.Also the digital readout is the same from any angle (no needle guage).

Judging surface speed from a boat after sever thousand hours on the water is easy.......kinda like judging the timing of a red light in yer hometown.....But the downspeed needs to be "dead on" if yer gonna match yer spread (lure weight,spinny,meat,stickbait..........spicies.....ect ect...thus the 3 s's speed,speed,speed.......my old 840 will work down to 110 ft if ya ant match yer angles tho its rare i fish there ..i have found currents below 100 ft are pretty stable with the goofy currents mostly occuring between 30 and 80 ft.........but a good wind in any direction will have ya scratching yer head and double guessing yer cable blowback...without a good down speed thingy....X 4 would be my startin recomendations....

Hey Rebel;

Which speed system do you run high, and which one deeper?

TT;

I agree with you assessment of the speed, as I did the same with my cousins unit last year, .5 mph slower speed on his DR vs my X-4

Thanks to both of for sharing with us!!!!

Iceman we run the Depth raider high in the main pattern and the X-4 is the bottom of the set in the temp we are targeting OR it is WAY DEEP for that 40 degree water hunt. EITHER way X-4 is always the shoot rigger to back up the main set.

RUNNIN REBEL

Jerry

I have run the X4 probe on my boat for 2 season now. Rock solid. Why are you excluding the Fishhawk and only going with the Moor or Depth Raider? All 3 are quality units and will work. Some are just a little easier to deal with. Coated cable, antenna, and the ability to only use it on one rigger turned me away.

For the guys running two units...

Why not adjust the calibration so that both units read the same? The x4 has the ability to adjust the calibration, not sure of the Depth Raider. On the x4 you can adjust both the speed and temp of the surface or the probe sensors, page 17 of the owners manual.

WOW when we wrote that article in GLA magazine I thought my fishing buddies only looked at the pictures. (NOTE TO SELF: next article we do use BIGGER WORDS)

Broad horizon Andy

EACH unit has distinct advantages for ALL boat controll conditions. You would not want 2 units collecting data exactly the same variables ( 1 unit changes info gradualy-GREAT for RUFF WATER/BOAT CONTROLL conditions-Waves pushing boat forward EVERY BIG WAVE and other process temp FAST-great for pinpointing down breaks & currents-calm water.) That is just a couple advantages of 2 different info collecting variables.

RUNNIN-REBEL

Jerry