Can anyone tell me about the fleas?

I have been reading a lot about what line to use and everyone seems to be talking about the "fleas". Can someone tell me what the deal is with them? More specifically, what is the problem they are causing? What is the best way to avoid it? What do they look like or how can I tell when I need to start dealing with them?

Read the post "Spiny water fleas" from last year for all the details. They're an invasive species that seriously gum up your gear and they should be showing up within the next week or two.

Welcome to the site. Soon as you run into them you will know what they are. They are a big pain in the A**. Some days and places they are worse than others. I use 30 lb mono for my downrigger rods and if you run dipsy divers you need wire once the fleas are out. If they are really bad I run cortland flea flicker line which has a different shape to it. I don't like running it but if fleas clog the 30lb which they can sometimes, flea flicker goes on.

So, the fleas stick to your line and lures and gum up the eyes on the rod and the reels? What's the deal with using 30#, is the diameter just big enough that they can't attach to it?

That's pretty much it. Not the lure's so much, just the line and when they are thick you can not reel in your line because it is so gummed up. There are more than one kind of flea. There is a kind that is big enough to hang onto the 30 lb test. Some times moving to a different area helps.

You can't go wrong with at least 30lb mono and when using wire on dipsy rods the fleas get cut off when then hit the twillie tip or the first eye. There are two kinds, the spiny water flea and the fish hook water flea. The fish hook is the biggest problem because it can hang on to thicker lines. They are a major pain in the a**. If you get a clump of them on the end of your line pull the line back like a bow and let it snap from your fingers, you may have to repeat this several times to clear them. Also you can smack the end of your rod off the boat and most will fall off.

There are at least 2 species(or subspecies) of these critters. The Finger lakes species are worse and there are times when they truly makes things unbearable and I just stop running lighter high lines for cheaters etc. On the other hand, the species I typically run into on Ontario (around Port Bay/Sodus) are not near as hard to get off the line as they typically slough off at the top guide. Both species seem to come & go due to factors that seem difficult for me to understand but start anytime now and seem to peak sometime in July/Aug. Sometimes they come & go more than once in the season.

Another good way to get them off your line is as they come up out of the water on the line stop reeling befor they hit your rod tip and give the rod a good smack on the handle just in front of the reel once or twice and they will fly right off the line. the worst thing to do is reel them up to the tip as they gum up so much you cant even reel the line through them.