Otter Boat repair

I had a chunk of foam break out of one of my otter boats last weekend.

It's where one of the bolts that hold the keels go through and about the size of a silver dollar.

Anyone ever glue that material back together?

What would be the best cement or glue to use?

Thanks

Glen

Gill-T, I did something very simular to that and I'd like to offer you some advise. On the side rail where you tow line is coming thru I added a rubber gromet to both holes in the aluminum after I cut the line near if half first trip out. Solved the problem. Just food for thought.

Hmm this particular damage,,,,,well no need to mention names ..I used a good grade 2 part epoxy then sorta feathered it around the cracked area to sorta act as extra support probly a tiny square of fiberglass cloth worked in at the same time wouldnt hurt..

We carry extra keels for the otter boards. If you run two only use one weight or they will sink, also make sure the keels are going in the same direction or your board will run straight out the back of the boat, just ask the Yankee Troller boys!

LMAO!

Hmm this particular damage,,,,,well no need to mention names ..I used a good grade 2 part epoxy then sorta feathered it around the cracked area to sorta act as extra support probly a tiny square of fiberglass cloth worked in at the same time wouldnt hurt..

One of mine fell off a 7' shelf to a concrete floor and busted into a couple pieces. Ray's suggestion works. I went with the high grade 2 part epoxy and a couple strips of fiberglass. I put a fresh coat of orange paint over the repairs. I had to drill new holes for the keel because of where it busted, but it's three seasons later and the board is still in one piece!

I had otters but for me they took up too much room and with sigle keel i saw no advantage over my cannon collaspable i tweeked the leading edge a tad (not much) tho they pulled perfect new......But i dont run copper off them either tho they will pull a good 8 rod spread with 1 oz keels 4 on each line and 2 lead fine too (each),,,,the best part is folding flat for easy storage...im shure if i could stand running copper a tiny modifacation would have them pullin strong enuf for 1 per side....my old home made make the otters look sick but storage was a problem for them too..........

If you guys were buying a mast and getting outfitted...would you go with the otter boat vs the other style?

There are two groups of guys when it comes to planer boards. The ones running Otter Boats, and the others who run Paul's Planners or the traditional planer board. Both will work just fine in most cases. We use the Otters exclusively with the dual keel and they pull out to the side very nicely. When they dive they come right back up and WONT flip in the rough stuff. We have run them in 6+' waves and if your willing to do so they will run for you.

If you buy the otter boats two things you can do to elongate their shelf life is to perform some of the modifications above, and secondly keep them out of the sun when not in use.

I like mine - they pull great, handle chop better than my boat, and by taking the keels off I can stow them on the boat pretty easily, as well as store them in the basement over the winter.

• 2 months later...
If you guys were buying a mast and getting outfitted...would you go with the otter boat vs the other style?

Depends on what you mean by "other style".

If you're talking big boards vs. in-lines, I would go with big boards every time. I never cared for in-lines because I like to limit the amount of "stuff" between the rod and the bait (I make an exception for dipsies). It's a personal preference - I know guys that swear by in-lines.

If you're talking about the different brands/styles and even home-made big boards... I'd probably end up going with the otter boats simply because I know how they ride and pull, and am used to them, but would consider building my own too.

I tried both. Otter boats with single keels and Riviera triple boards. The riviera boats pull harder when you are running in a straight line in quiet water (Finger Lakes), but when there are currents or when you have to make a turn,the otter boats work way better.I have not run either of them in waves that top 3 foot,but the Otter boats are way more stable in the 3 footers. It seems to me that the main problem with the Riviera and similar boards is that they are way to high up in the water, because of that, they loose a lot of their effective pulling surface.The Otter boat's keel is completely submerged and that makes it so effective.

• 3 months later...

Do a search you will find alot of info on running copper of the Otter boats.

They need to be set up right with the tow line harnesses tied at the right length.

I prefere adding the 2nd set of keels when pulling long coppers.

I also added a second set of holes 3/4 of an inch center to center directly below the pre drilled holes and they run even better.

Good luck

Glen