Running meat and/or MC Rockets - Low batting Average?

We have recently had a meat/ MC Rocket fisherman on our boat during practice for tourneys and we give this guy a rod or two to try and get us a kicker fish using meat and/or MC Rockets. Our hook up percentage has been HORRIBLE! They are taking shots but we might land 1 for every 5 shots we take, and it may even be a worse batting average than that. The rigs we have been using have a single treble. I don't think a tandem rig would work and it may hurt the "roll." Anyone have any tips on putting more fish in the boat using this presentation?

Hey Yankee, first, nice boat. What year? I have a 10 meter also, nice and wide.If you are running a meat rig with a single treble I can not say enough about getting a pack of Owner dancing stinger hooks. Get the #2 singles to try. They are pricey but you can switch from rig to rig with them. Your hook ups will go way up and they also work on flies. Any questions just call me 616 233 0618. I think tackle direct has them BW

A sliding snell rig is the way to go, Rick. We experienced some of the same frustration in the first few years. Tried a Siwash vs treble, a snelled double siwash, & found the best was a 4/0 siwash with a 2/0 treble on the tail. On some days, 75% or more are hooked by the snelled siwash. And using this setup did not adversally effect the great action. After running a strike vision camera, it became clear. Most salmon do not hit from directly behind(6 o'clock), but attack more from the side(not quite at 9, but inbetween). If your only running a treble, there's a good chance he'll miss it, or not have the hook in his mouth, but on the outside of his mouth. That's where the snell comes in. And sticky sharp, quality hooks is a must. Some also use a set snell, which is also effective. I think you'll find that this setup dramatically helps, especially when they're hitting short. When using a sliding snelled rig, most set the sliding snell up tight to the teaser head with the treble trailing with the eye of the hook at the end of the tail, eliminating the need to use a toothpick in the rear of the fin to set the trebles position The only drawback is the siwash usually hangs with the point facing downward. I also like to put a toothpick in the rear hole, not to set my treble position, but to have the siwash pointing out to the side, not down, which also equals more hookups. Prior to rigging, I use a small drill bit to make the rear hole a little larger, just making it easier to put the toothpick in the rear hole. Getting them to hit is only the first part of the puzzle, so your part way there. And by using this setup, you'll get many more in the boat, which is why we're out there. If your having trouble tying a sliding snell, there are many posts on how to do this, or you can go to my website ( http://www.mcrocket.com ), & go to Tips & Tricks & How To sections. Hope this helps, Rick, & feel free to get a hold of me anytime. Although I haven't used cut bait in years, I can see no reason this setup wouldn't be just as effective using it as well.

Mike

Mike pretty much explained it all Ricky but I will add that we have a LOT of smaller fish out there and they could be part of the problem. When I have trouble hooking fish on the Rockets the hits seem to be from smaller fish. I run ONLY single/treble tandem rigs from Siggs Rigs and have no problem getting a perfect roll with the Rockets. That said, I can't wait for later this summer when I have lots of kings laying on the bottom in 80 fow off the Oak. Rockets ROCK! :yes:

Not much can be added to what has already been said, but I can confirm what Mike said on the sliding snell. It's tricky to learn, but once ya get it figured out it works real nice. If you don't want to screw with the sliding snell, then you may want to try to tie up your meat rigs with the hooks further apart than a stock meat rig so that the single is up tight to the head and the treble is back just beyond the tail. I think the tandem rig is the only way to go.

I will be trying the dancing stinger too, as I have heard it works well.

MC Rockets catch fish....can't say enough about them!

ut oh rick is the king of croc's think he might have the tieing issue too....ill 3rd the side hitting thing thats why i put the eyes on the hook end of most spoons they eat their bait headfirst.....their probly hitting the head to stunn it then release it to finish off the woonded fish and yer pullin it away while their scratchin their head wondering where it went.. Ive had fish in the keys with good eyesight eat (bite) my ballyhoo rig in between the hooks several times while fishing slow hard to belive they miss the trebles but it happens a lot maybe ill do a third hook in between and hide it in the bait,,,,