Leadcore setup

just remember ya got 18,27,36 lb test lead core available most run 27lb ,,,the lead is the same dia in all weights with the outer coating being the difference...theirfore the 18 lb test with thin coating will run deeper than 36 lb with larger dia coating ((more drag in water too)...most, to the best of my smarts use the 27 lb test ......also dont run a 10 color out IE:6 colors as the lead is still in the end guide and the lead can(will) break with time and wear out the outer coating from the inside out #1 reason for lead failure (with proper drag) 300yds (900ft) might be a tad more tham any salmon will pull out ,we landeda 28 lbr sunday on 15 lb test mono with no problem tho a tad light for derby conditions IMHO Id split a 300 yd spool for 2 rods...

Ray, we had a screamer on during the Fairhaven Challenge several years ago that just didn't stop. Adam was covered in yellow power pro dust and almost all 300 yds was gone when we finally clamped down and ended up braking off the 20 lb leader. All of this happened in about a minute and a half, no time to pull rods and back down on it, no chance to turn and chase. I have no doubt that that fish would have spooled us so at least I didn't lose the core and $30 of power pro.

Tim

All good advice. I tie a piece of mono to the leadcore (bout three feet) with the willis knot, then tie on a spro power swivel and tie this to the braid backing with a palomar knot. The mono is where to put your release clip (if used), cores on boards are lethal.