cross lake 6-17-2011

caught 1 sunnie and 1 catfish...saw 3 gar sunning themselves and a bald eagle....had 3 pike follow my lures but no takers...even tried trollin in 20 fow..not a bite but plenty of marks...really couldnt ask for a better day weather wise..tried sight fishing and no luck there either...and so long 4 now;john

Well at least those cats will get ya excited (until I see that it's not a nice pike fighting like all get out :lol:)

Speaking of fish sunning themselves...I noticed a ton of good sized fish up on the surface at cross last weekend, especially at dusk- they where everywhere we looked. Never got close enough to figure out what they were...spooked easily. I suspected carp given how many there were, but have seen esox do that as well. have you seen this on cross or know what they are?

Well at least those cats will get ya excited (until I see that it's not a nice pike fighting like all get out :lol:)

Speaking of fish sunning themselves...I noticed a ton of good sized fish up on the surface at cross last weekend, especially at dusk- they where everywhere we looked. Never got close enough to figure out what they were...spooked easily. I suspected carp given how many there were, but have seen esox do that as well. have you seen this on cross or know what they are?

Typically, it's the gar sunning, and we see them most often late afternoon up to dusk, so that's what it sounds like to me.

If you want to find out for sure, toss a Rapala F11 at them and slowly twitch it back. Gar may hit it, or may just follow it, but either way should get close enough for you to see 'em.