Scotty rod holder and dipsy problem

Today I had a frustrating experience with 2 scotty rod holders. Everytime I put a dipsey rod in 1 after a short while the rod holder popped out of the holder.Must of done it 10 times on 2 different ones. OK so what does work for rod holders if scottys dont. I was lucky I didnt lose any rods. Has anyone else had this problem? Lucky I caught 2 nice kings to over shadow it just a bit at Sandy. What works for dipsey rods.?????Thanks BP

Bp,

Try tite-loc rod holders. Ive been running them and have had good success with them. Berts and big jons also work very well. I tried the scottys years back, and dont think that they would be good for dipseys. Save them for when the boards are out for the browns.

Jeff

I have six of the Scotty's on my boat and used to run mono divers with them before I had enough $$$$ to get Tite Lok's, I would never run braid or wire divers out of them. Tite Lok's work just fine and don't break the bank, any of the other aluminum rod holders will work just fine also.

DAN

BP, I bought the Scotty's last year and had the same problem (Jax's remembers me tying them in place :x ) with the teeth slipping. This winter I took them out, put them together and then drilled a hole right through the post area where they go together. I put them back in then put a screw right through the hole. I have run wire off them all year and haven't had one problem. They have worked fine.

If your not sure what I mean, you can stop out and see mine. I live in Chili just give me a shout. 354-7700

Hey kids..............Remember what Chef Tom says:

"When in doubt put a screw in it"

I highly reccomend the big jons, I got my triple stacks on last week and love them. Solid construction, easy one hand operation to change angles, you cant beat it.

I had the same problem on my old Sportcraft. A call to Scotty revealed they are not designed for dipsey diver rod holders as there is too much torque on the teeth of the holder. I would suggest Big Jon's Heavy duty rod holders or Bert's wratchet-type.

Lou

I tried the screw method for now. Will see how that works. Looks like it will work. I can always fall back on my double clamp downeasters if need be also. They are pretty solid and worked good the other day. BP

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy had a Fish On rod holder with an extension to raise it higher, it broke off and he lost a $250 rod, reel, dipsey and gear. Best get a good rod holder, it gets expensive when they break and go over the side.