Dipsey rod line issue

I think I have or am learning the hard way that mono sucks on a dipsey rod as its pretty tough to trip the dipsey with 180 feet out. What do the pros or others use for dipsy rods? braid? I have another dipsy rod with wire and it trips like a dream but its easier to lose fish as it doesnt give. So I gotta replace the mono with something. Any recommendations? Does anyone use mono on dipseys anymore?

Also what is a good pound test mono to use for riggers this time of year? Thanks in advance BP

Gambler,

What # braid is good for dipseys? Ive got 65# PP on a Musky Rod I could use maybe.

Is 20# FF a good general all season line for riggers? Thanks again. BP

Definitely drop the mono... When you have that much in the water the mono will flex so much that it wont pop... Go with wire all the way no flex and you will be directly hooked up with the fish for the ultimate fight .... Good luck and tight lines!!

I am all for the wire as well, I ran mono last year and it sucked. I got terrible hookups with mono, when a fish hits my wire rods the hooks sink in to it. I don't use snubbers just very heavy leaders (45lb) flouro.

I'm using 30lb power pro on two rods but they will be of no use when fleas come out. wire is the ticket. The only place I use 30 lb mono on a dipsey is on a down and out stacked off the downrigger cable with a small dipsey. There is not a lot of line out in that situation and the small dipsey is easy to trip when retrieving. It also is less susceptible to flea collection so that is the ONLY case for using the 30 pound ande mono. It holds tighter in the scotty pinch pads I use also so it holds the pull of the dipsey.

Use wire, it's really the best when fleas come out and gives the dipsey much better depth. The twilly will help cut fleas off too if they come to the rod.

Mark

Wire, wire and wire! Ran mono dipseys last year and never was able to boat a fish that took a bait on those outside rods. Ran wire on the inside (deep) dipseys and never lost a fish. Am running all wire even on the shallow outside dipsey rods this year. And the absolute added plus is the fleas are a minor inconvenience not a major problem. 30 pound Flea Flicker on the rigger rods for flea season.

Wire, wire and wire! Ran mono dipseys last year and never was able to boat a fish that took a bait on those outside rods. Ran wire on the inside (deep) dipseys and never lost a fish. Am running all wire even on the shallow outside dipsey rods this year. And the absolute added plus is the fleas are a minor inconvenience not a major problem. 30 pound Flea Flicker on the rigger rods for flea season.

I actually tried an experiment last year on a calm day I deployed a magnum dipsey with ring on 30 lb mono out to 180 feet nothing else out threw the boat in neutral and actually pulled the boat backward (albeit slowly) pumping and reeling the dipsey never released until it was directly under the boat still with about forty feet of line out. :@

BP, i went through the same thing last year with mono for dipsies. it sucked! im paying attention to what these guys are saying about wire as ive been considering trying it, but i just dont like working with wire line. ive had great luck with 50# power pro for dipsies. gets down deep and even when fleas are in i had good luck "snapping" them off with the dipsy in the water at the side of the boat. no reason you couldnt try it with your 65# PP. best, mark

We run 30 lb wire on our wire set up. 10' 6" ugly sticks, twilli tips, and tekota 700LCs. 2500 feet of wire on each reel so we could take them shark fishing if we wanted to!! With the wire set up, we rarely have to pop a dipsey ourselves, the fish do it automatically.

The "Pros" I know use 20lb wire while most of us lesser beings use 30lb wire or braid (30 to 50 lb).

We run 30# wire (the rod with 20# took a lot less hits than the 30) , Fish Dr. 7' roller rods with sg47lc diawia reels. Use a clear or black snubber, stops the hook tearouts at the back of the boat. But that s what works for us bigger lesser beings :lol:

I use 40lb power pro braid. Main reason is my reel can only fit 300 yards of it, any larger test and I just get too little line on. I haven't lost a fish on the braid yet - but have to be honest, have not hooked into a mother bugger of a fish yet this year, all mine have been in the 10 - 15 lb range.