fishing canada...think again

Weak president = We get pushed around by rest of the world & we take it. My bet is the Frogs woudn't even think of do this type of thing during the Reagan years.Maybe Schumer should go up & apologize & beg for forgivness & promise we will never do such a thing again. USA needs to wake up & fast.

Lol. Don't let yourself get boarded by them. If you see them coming just pull anchor and goto the US side. They won't shoot you to stop you!

I'm not condoning breaking the law, but fining someone 1000 dollars for fishing just might be the real crime here. I see them, I drive 2 min back into the US and wave.

Easy Peasy.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

While reading the post i found it disturbing that the officers would do something like that, I'm not familiar with all the rules, subsections and other law lingo, but just as a fisherman I find it disgraceful. I am a Canadian and I'm sure I will not be the only one to read it either or the only one who feels like I do. I fish with lots of Americans throught the year and have many that are friends of mine. I find it terrible that this has left a bad taste in some of our mouths and I hope it gets ironed out for the best. Please try and understand that a couple of overthetop officers don't speak for everyone as individuals. I believe that as Countries that share these waters and the fish that we should be United in our efforts to make it a comfortable place to fish and share good times with one another. As one fisherman to another.

I don't think it reflects badly on Canadians or Canada. It just looks like a few border agents either don't know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing or maybe have gone on a bit of a power trip. Hopefully their superiors will smack them back down to reality and this will all just go away.

Tim

I think the border agents know their jobs. It's likely that the laws been on the books but not enforced till now. Like I said, kindly lift anchor and wave to them as you go back into US waters. There's nothing they can do. Just don't let them board your boat.

I don't think it reflects badly on Canadians or Canada. It just looks like a few border agents either don't know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing or maybe have gone on a bit of a power trip. Hopefully their superiors will smack them back down to reality and this will all just go away.

Tim

I entered Canada on Friday June 17th to purchase a Canadian fishing license. When I told the border agent I was going to purchase a Canadian license he told me I was required to report to a designated port to go fishing in Canada. Saturday I went to Rockport to check in and the designated area but it was shutdown. I proceeded to Eel Bay through the Canadian Middle channel. I drifted and fished in Canada within site of the Gananaque Narrows. I hung out and watched the poker run and returned to the US without incident. I have been trying to find out about entering Canadian waters without a solid answer. Last year when I e-mailed the CBSA about anchoring in Canada they told me to check a certain section of the laws. The answer was not there so I replied and never received and never received an answer. Everyone needs to keep trying to find an answer from the CBSA until it is solved.

I called the Canadian port of entry and they stated as long as you don't anchor or make landfall your good. If you do, just call them and they may or may not send an inspector. I have the number if any are interested in calling for themselves. I'm at work on iPhone so I can't get you the number till I get home. This is what they told me.

The laws in Canada are like Nascar, they are written in sand. A Canadian officer said at a club meeting "You can not anchor on the beach areas where you may walk ashore". Apparently the sand has moved offshore and now things have changed. It is best to deal with it and next year when the non resident fishing license sales take a dump, things may change.

On Lake ST. CLAIR, DETROIT RIVER, AND ST. CLAIR RIVER WHERE I LIKE TO FISH FROM MICHIGAN, YOU ARE ALLOWED TO FISH CANADIAN WATERS AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SET ANCHOR. BY SETTING ANCHOR NOW YOU HAVE MADE LANDFALL, IF THIS WAS THE CASE OF THESE 2 FISHERMAN THE AGENT DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO ENFORCE THE LAW. I BELIEVE OVER HERE ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PHONE A PORT OF ENTRY OR CUSTOMS OFFICE AND REPORT YOUR INTENT. VERY CONFUSING LAWS HAVE BEEN MADE SINCE 911 ATTACKS

Read this article if you haven't already. The highest authorities on both sides have clarified that if you cross the border into Canada to fish you must check in. Sure, you can press your luck and might not get caught but I'm not about to roll the dice.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20110622/NEWS02/306229942

Although north country boaters have believed for years that they could venture into Canadian waters without reporting to authorities as long as they do not set anchor or tie up to a dock, the Canadians have taken a firm position that the impression is wrong.

It's likely that the laws been on the books but not enforced till now.

Like I said, kindly lift anchor and wave to them as you go back into US waters. There's nothing they can do. Just don't let them board your boat.

Either unenforced till now or many of the Canadian agents themselves have been passing incorrect interpretations among themselves. State dept and Highest Canadian authorities have confirmed the need to check in.

Evading the authorities is some of the WORST advise I've heard. :no: Don't think for a moment they don't have a database and are not flagging your boats registration number if they got it through their binoculars. Try taking your boat over via land or don't manage to evade them the next time and they will be doing a lot more than giving you a just thousand dollar fine! :mooning:

I'd love to see the cluster*#$% that will happen every spring as 300 boats, both US and Canadian, try to call in every time they cross the border while trolling the Niagara Bar. I suspect this stupid policy will change almost immediately.

Tim

I fish for recreation, not for hassels. The only way I'll ever go to Canadian water is if my engine dies and a south wind causes my boat to drift the 25 miles there.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

On Lake ST. CLAIR, DETROIT RIVER, AND ST. CLAIR RIVER WHERE I LIKE TO FISH FROM MICHIGAN, YOU ARE ALLOWED TO FISH CANADIAN WATERS AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SET ANCHOR. BY SETTING ANCHOR NOW YOU HAVE MADE LANDFALL, IF THIS WAS THE CASE OF THESE 2 FISHERMAN THE AGENT DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO ENFORCE THE LAW. I BELIEVE OVER HERE ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PHONE A PORT OF ENTRY OR CUSTOMS OFFICE AND REPORT YOUR INTENT. VERY CONFUSING LAWS HAVE BEEN MADE SINCE 911 ATTACKS

I don't think the Canadian NATIONAL laws are set by body of water or even province. Apparently, you are right in that you only need to call, but supposedly it needs to be make from special border phones set up at SOME unmanned ports, or else go to an official port and do it in person.

I would like to see a special number you can call from your cell if you will not be making landfall, just fishing etc. The way they have clarified this, it is too oppressive and WILL hurt local tourism and the economy on these border waters as well as putting the local charter capts out of business :no: Our govts definitely need to find a workable solution!

Pull anchor and mosey into US while waving. Nothing they can do. Sure, they can get your boat registration and try to get you next time. But US side won't give them your registration. I know this, don't ask how though or I will stop giving you the "inside" information. Read between the lines and don't get me in trouble.

I don't think the Canadian NATIONAL laws are set by body of water or even province. Apparently, you are right in that you only need to call, but supposedly it needs to be make from special border phones set up at SOME unmanned ports, or else go to an official port and do it in person.

I would like to see a special number you can call from your cell if you will not be making landfall, just fishing etc. The way they have clarified this, it is too oppressive and WILL hurt local tourism and the economy on these border waters as well as putting the local charter capts out of business :no: Our govts definitely need to find a workable solution!

US give them what info? don't you have your registration number on your boat in big numbers and letters???

if they key it in on the water or while towing through customs and you will get hassled

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Windows%20Smartphone.png

This same incident occurred again today in Whitby. Matt Leclair was questioned for a length of time and,despite having all his paperwork in order, was slapped with a $1000 fine by the Canadian gov. The reason? He did not report to customs BEFORE docking in Canada. Three years ago I was reprimanded by Canadian customs for calling in before I had a dock number to give them. Now you have to pay their $1000 extortion money on the spot or they confiscate your boat. I hope the US gov sorts this mess out soon or I can see the end of American involvement on Canadian tournaments.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

That stinks... Ill lookforward to Rods Post....Just showed a friend of mine who does a canada trip every fall ...............He is gonna cancel today and get a cottage at black lake instead....like i said"" step over a dollar to pick up a nickle"",,

Tell matt and the boys well have a "can collection" at oswego (returnables) ..

Aslo the wife and i were on the fence for the Aug. yankees/blue jays series........Not Any More ...we got TV..

Does Nobama hav a twin running the canadian gov.