fishing canada...think again

I feel lucky I was only extorted for $95.00 from NYC and $125.00 US federal Gov.While Striper fishing at Great Kills NYC Memorial Day weekend.$95.00 for parking overnight in the park.$125.00 for having commercial plates on my pickup.Apparently Commercial plates are not allowed on National Recreation areas.They didn't even hold my boat hostage.What a bargain.Our Government is much better. lol I guess next year we will get a slip.My friend payed $50.00 for a permit to launch there.Which he had to show them his registration for his truck and boat and he got the same tickets. Our Governments sure are hard up.

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune.

There doesn't seem to be anything we peons can do in this situation other than to stay on our side of the border.

Politically/diplomatically our government needs to turn up the pressure before any progress can be made. If the laws needed are not written correctly to enable our country to act in a similar manner towards other country's citizens, I'd like to see the bluff card played by our government officials. I'm old enough to remember Russia's attitude to the rest of the world during the "cold war era". Krueschev was a master at "bluffing" and Russia got a lot of what it wanted during that period of time.

What goes 'round/comes 'round is my attitude of choice. When the dust settles, a reasonable solution will be reached. Until then, our country needs to play too!

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2011/ ... _folo.html

Canadian officials sticking with controversial border policy for anglers/boaters on St. Lawrence River

Published: Thursday, June 30, 2011, 5:58 AM

By David Figura/The Post-Standard The Post-Standard

Print Going into one of the busiest weekends of the summer on the St. Lawrence River, Canadian officials have no plans at this point to change or ease enforcement of their existing border policies when it comes to dealing with non-Canadian anglers and other recreational boaters on the river.

That point was emphasized Wednesday afternoon by a Canadian customs official at a meeting hosted by the Thousand Islands International Tourism Council held at the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton and attended by select business owners and river charter boat captains.

The meeting was held to help clarify the Canadian position in the wake of a controversial May 30 incident during which angler Roy Andersen, of Baldwinsville, who was drifting and fishing in the Gananoque Narrows, was stopped by customers officers and forced to pay $1,000 on the spot to prevent his boat from being seized.

Mark Pergunas, chief customs chief at the Thousand Islands bridge, assured those at Wednesday's meeting that despite the Andersen incident, there's no river-wide crackdown or change in the level of enforcement by Canadian custom officials planned, according to Gary DeYoung, director of tourism for the Tourism Council. He provided a list of spots where boaters could call customers, noting phones are available at just about every major marina along the Canadian side.

The customs official did note, though, that no stopping to fish or trolling in Canadian waters is allowed unless an angler first checks into a designated Canadian "port of entry" and phones in their presence to Canadian customs officials, DeYoung said.

One bait store owner who attended the meeting was unimpressed. He noted, for example, that not every port of entry is open at the time anglers want to fish and that not all are conveniently located as Pergunas inferred.

"He's just a messenger doing what he's been told," said Todd Cerow, owner of the Thousand Island Bait Store in Alexandria Bay, who attended the meeting.

"It's now up to us to contact our government officials and reps, and to voice our opinion. People on both sides of the river are going to end up losing lots of money because of this."

The upcoming weekend traditionally has been a busy one. Friday is Canada Day and Monday is the Fourth of July -- national holidays for both countries. Wednesday's meeting in Clayton did nothing to ease the concern of those Americans who might be out on the water and crossing over to the Canadian side this weekend, Cerow said.

Earlier this week, Michael Cusano, of Clay, president of the N.Y. BASS Chapter Federation. announced his group's July 24 fishing tournament out of Massena would limit practice and competitive fishing during the event to the American side. The result is that no Canadian fishing licenses will have to be purchased by the event's expected 160 competitors.

Many on the St. Lawrence have been acting for years under the belief that anglers and recreational boaters weren't required to report their presence in Canadian waters on the St. Lawrence unless they anchored or set foot on Canadian soil. The understanding by many was that an angler could drift fish or troll on the Canadian side as long as he or she had a Canadian fishing license.

However, a statement from the U.S. State Department days after the May 30 incident confirmed that the Canadian officials were acting within "long-standing regulations" in fining Andersen. They noted all non-Canadian boaters must alert Canadian officials of their presence in Canadian waters. The only exception, according to the State Department, would be a circumstance when boaters are traveling through Canadian waters from one U.S. location to another, without stopping.

One Canadian customs official conceded late last week that strict adherence to the law carries "logistical issues," and that for years there's been an "administrative tolerance"; by Canadian officials of those boaters/anglers who didn't report in on the St. Lawrence River.

Rep. Bill Owens, D-Plattsburgh, and U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-NY, have both written letters to Canadian officials following reports of Andersen's fine. Schumer issued a press release Wednesday that the president of the Canadian Border Service Agency has ordered an investigation into the case.

Sean Magers, an aide for Owens, said late Wednesday afternoon the congressman "continues to wait for a response from the Canadian government that resolves this situation in a practical matter for people who boat on the river." He noted there's been "no additional reports of American boaters being stopped on the river beyond Mr. Andersen."

"Until this issue is resolved, all boaters need to proceed in the manner they think most appropriate," Magers said.

Looks like Oh Baby won't be getting that grand back anytime soon :no: This whole thing is being handled incorrectly. If they all of a sudden choose to enforce this law, a grace period and warnings issued would be the diplomatic solution.

Unless this changes, spring fishing at the bar has been changed in a big way !

Tim, having gone through a boarder incident that cost us a grand, I really don't think you want to be the "example" at the bar next spring. If they want to make your life suck, they will do so and you will have no recourse. I can assure you I will follow whatever policy they have in place. I suggest everyone else does the same.

Let's just hope this gets ironed out. If we can call in by cell phone, it won't be as big a deal.

At the risk or repeating myself, I'd REALLY like to see them try and enforce this on the Niagara Bar on any spring weekend.

Tim

Or how about ALL WINTER on the Niagara Tim? With the exception of Artpark and part of Devil's Hole most of the good Niagara drifts are on the Canadian side. This could get ugly! :devil:

So they think that Anderson was the only incident ....guess we better send a link of these posts on here to Schumer and the media reports. It still does not warrant a fine without the warning first. No intent to actually enforce these rules and then suddenly start fineing people is still extortion on the grounds of a threat of seizure of property or else.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Rod, I don't normally go anywhere near the bar in the spring (mostly because I keep the boar docked in Olcott and it's an 18+ mile run to the red can) and if I do, I know where the boarder is on my GPS. I haven't gotten a Canadian license in years, mostly due to the fact at until recently when I got my NYS Enhanced Drivers License, since I don't have a passport,I had no way to get back into my own country.

Paul, yes the river in the winter will be ugly too, but I was referring more to them trying to enforce this on the huge boat pack of both NY and Canadian boats you can see trolling the drop on any spring weekend that depending on where the main concentration of fish is, may criss cross the border a dozen times a day.

Tim

At the risk or repeating myself, I'd REALLY like to see them try and enforce this on the Niagara Bar on any spring weekend.

Tim

The problem is they can do just what they are doing right now. Selective enforcement. My guess is there were dozens of US boats fishing in Canadian waters without reporting in the 1000 islands but they only grabed one that we know of. Was the Tournament boat the only one to make a small rule violation in reporting last weekend on lake Ontario? I doubt it. The sudden change of attitude, the selective enforcement and punitive nature of the fine is what seems so unfair about it.

I'd REALLY like to see them enforce this on the Niagara Bar on any spring weekend ?

DUDE , THAT's the perfect time for a real payday. Go from boat to boat with a captured audience.

$ 1000 = 20 Canadian fishing licences.

They are doing on their boarder what O & the rest of the clowns on the hill don't have the nads to do in this country.

The Canadians are making a statement by enforcing this Law as they have & make no mistake about it, it came down from the top. They can kiss my ---. I'll stay here.

Wake up America & FAST. Our elected rulers are screwing this country up so bad, it makes me want to scream.

I'd REALLY like to see them enforce this on the Niagara Bar on any spring weekend ?

DUDE , THAT's the perfect time for a real payday. Go from boat to boat with a captured audience.

Logistically, It's just not possible.

$ 1000 = 20 Canadian fishing licences

Yeah and 162 bass competitors not buying Canadian Licenses = $8100 lost too...haaaaa!

Guess that means 8 more of us to get pumped in the rump for them to make it up....NEXT!...not me :no:

elaborate please TB.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Windows%20Smartphone.png

Just don't see how they can enforce it on a 300 boat pack, consisting of boats from both countries, all crossing the line repeatedly all day long. I don't think they have the equipment or manpower for that kind of enforcement action, neither do we for that matter.

Tim

Speaking only for myself, I can say I'm done with Canada. I have fished almost 50 years and have bought Canadian licenses many many times. The license goes up every year, the outdoor card, the hassles at the border for our annual Ontario fly in trips and other trips, etc. Who needs that Sh&%. I fish for relaxation and because its my passion. I dont need my blood pressure going up with the constant hassles and wondering if we are gonna get borded or checked. Screw it! We have so much good fishing right here in the USA, theres no need to give them anymore money for licenses or motels or gas or food. They lose, not us. I only hope we offer them the same courtesy as they fish our waters. By the time they get this straightened out, if they do, the season will be over anyway. Once they see their non resident license sales drop next year, they will rethink it. They are shooting themselves in the foot for sure. Guess I will have to watch the GPS more on the Niagara and stay on our side. Adios canada.

Just a thought -- if us fishermen get hassled why not the sail boats? Sure they are going point to point but if they are sailing and not going in a straight line to check in wouldn't that be in violation. After all they could cross the border, lower sail and cruise straight to port - check in the go back out for a sail.

Sailing is a "Sport" just like fishing is a "Sport" (well not just like but, we will leave that alone for now). Perhaps the US customs could start stopping CN sailboats fine them -- better yet take their boats -- and wish them a good day ay?!!

Why is it us Americans paying the price for "Homeland Security" both in this country and in canada?(sic)

Canadian officials confirmed this week that non-Canadian anglers who drift fish or troll on the Canadian side of the St. Lawrence River or Lake Ontario without first checking into a designated port of entry and calling Canadian customs are illegally in the country.

They risk being stopped and face the possibility of being fined or having their boat seized.

The only exception to the current policy, officials said, is if a person is traveling by boat from one U.S. destination to another and happens to pass through Canadian waters without stopping. Tour boats, for example, would be unaffected.

The announcement comes in the wake of a May 30 incident in which Baldwinsville resident Roy Andersen was stopped by customs officials while he and a buddy were drift fishing in the Gananoque Narrows. Andersen, who had a Canadian fishing license but did not call in to Canadian customs to report his presence, was forced to pay $1,000 on the spot to keep his boat from being confiscated.

So what’s the big deal?

Gary DeYoung, director of tourism for the Thousand Islands International Tourism Council, put it in perspective on Friday.

DeYoung said a 2008 study done by state tourism officials showed that in Jefferson County alone some $209 million flows in from tourists each year, and more than 20 percent of those visitors fish.

“The bottom line is you’re looking at one fifth of our tourism being tied to fishing,†he said. “Anything that affects that is going to have a big impact on this area.â€

DeYoung said American charter boat captains and anglers have been operating “for generations†under the idea that they were OK as long as they didn’t anchor or set foot on Canadian soil.

Patrick Simpson, owner of the Ship Motel in Alexandria Bay and a part-time charter boat captain, was at the meeting this past week in Clayton where a customs chief explained the most recent Canadian border policies to a group of local business owners and charter boat captains. He said the official emphasized “how easy it is†for anglers to stop into the numerous designated ports of entry on the Canadian side and just call. Then a charter boat captain from Henderson Harbor stood up and asked the official where would be the closest spot from his area.

The official said that would be Kingston, Simpson said. It’s an hour and half away.

Simpson said once a charter boat captain gets to the port of entry and all the information on his clients gets called in, there’s always the possibility that one of the people aboard could get rejected.

“If that happens, you have to turn around and go back, forgetting the fact that everyone aboard has paid for the charter and has bought a Canadian fishing license,†he said.

He said the most common reason for someone getting rejected is a DWI on their record. “ It could be something that happened 20 years ago,†he said.

Simpson and others who attended the meeting in Clayton said the customs official stressed that the Canadians are not planning a widespread crackdown or change in their level of enforcement.

“But as a professional charter boat captain, I’m not going to take that chance,†Simpson said. “I’ve got to tell you, very few charter captains are going to go through all this rigmarole to go fishing in Canadian waters.â€

This is from the Syracuse Newspaper yesterday

The only exception to the current policy, officials said, is if a person is traveling by boat from one U.S. destination to another and happens to pass through Canadian waters without stopping. Tour boats, for example, would be unaffected

Isn't that what the fisherman were doing ? Left US port , went through Can. water than back to a US port. Guess you have to fish with a Canadian lawyer ay! :no:

<<"Isn't that what the fisherman were doing ? Left US port , went through Can. water than back to a US port.">>

Exactly what I was thinking. Trolling is NOT stopping, not heading for a Canadian landing, and going in transit from us port to us port.....fishing in Canadian waters is the only thing happening. License necessary for that, and carry USA credentials for identity if stopped. Jeeeze you would think the Canadian govt would love us more now that we have a FLAMING liberal in the Oval Office :dull: