fishing canada...think again

Holy Buckets.... this makes no sense at all.

A vessel at drift, not anchored or tie to a dock, is still underway.

So basically they are going to target fisherman because we are the easiest to catch, we are either trolling or drifting (ie. underway). It's hard to catch sombody cruising from place to place going 15-30 knots underway.

2 weeks ago the Rochester Yacht club had thier Scotch Bonnet Island race. A buddy of mine participated in that event and I asked him if they had to proceed with any border crossing criteria. He looked at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my forehead. He told me that they didn't, and that no other boats that he knew of had to do anything either.

It's really too bad that things are so screwed up, because in the end it's the middle class guy, folks like us, that get hurt in the end, whether with an unexpected unfair fine, or a person's lively hood and income take a shot in the balls.

The Canadians who buy American non residents licenses are mainly here for the Early Bass season we have on Lake Erie. They come over the bridges and are checked there. Soon they will open up a trophy bass season and will not have to buy a New York licnse any more. They do not have the standard of living we have to buy New York non resident licenses mainly.

The only exception to the current policy, officials said, is if a person is traveling by boat from one U.S. destination to another and happens to pass through Canadian waters without stopping

Im not in favor of this any more than the next guy but c'mon, driving around in circles engaged in a regulated activity (trolling) is certainly not the same as being in transit in a straight line between two points in the US that happen to have Canadian territory in between them.

Problem is if you are relying on politicians to fix the problem...I doubt it will happen as most of them are downstate and probably dont even know what a fishing rod looks like much less fish or care about upstate fishermen. Looks like we are going to get the shaft, don't buy the license next year and hit em where it hurts, their pocketbook.

The system is trying to have you travel over the bridges, pay a toll, launch fees, meals, lodging, etc. if you want to fish Canadian waters, or just leave your fish you stocked to the Canadians. Thank you.

Guess this is just payback for treating them like the backwards country that they are.I had to go and testify in a court years ago and they still wear those crazy powdered wigs in court.I was asked to talk slower because of my accent.I don't know what accent they were talking about must be I didn't use words like oot and aboot eh?

Monday the 4th of July I was entering Lake of the Isles and noticed a police boat behind me. I pulled off to the side before entering Lake of the Isles. It was an OPP boat. After they passed I followed them into Lake of the Isles. They entered the first bay in US waters and weaved through the boats that were rafting there. A few people were taking pictures and it looked like one on shore was shooting video. It looked like all the boats were from NY. The OPP proceeded through Lake of the Isles and into the Rift. When I went through the Rift and came out by Wellesly Island State Park they were gone. I haven't figured out what they were doing yet. Possibly looking for Canadian boaters to warn them? Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm heading back to the 1000 Islands and I'm going to check in and then fish in Canada to see what happens.