moor sub troll question

just rigged up my 172 dollar speed and temp probe and no workie!!! i got new cable with it but was in a hurry to fish so i used the old stuff..godd connection on the top and taped up good. put the 80 lb leader that came with it and the crimps slid rightout,, so i rigged it up homemade with wire 150 lb test. don,t get a signal in or out of the water. disply reads , speed oo, and temp reads nothing.. older unit came with the boat ,,1986 maybe antenna bad or bad ground because of my homemade job??? maybe display unit bad? cimps that came with it kinda cheapo if u ask me for 172 dollars, maybe one of you guys have a secret to crimping on a little better than the ones they give you any help appreciated!!! tight lines and drags screaming!!!

The dot erabbit mentions is actually in the digital box where the temp. reading is....but that is the newer units and I'm unsure if the older units are like this or not??

As stated, the probe is water activated and will not work out of the water. After changing the 9 volt and checking all the connections I guess I'd look at the antenna next, but it'd look at the power supply very closely.

Also, watch that 150 lb leader, if you latch on to anything on the bottom you'll loose your ball and probably the probe as well. That's what the 80 lb is for.....lighter than your cable so you shouldn't loose the probe if you catch bottom.

Tight Lines

Rod

Take your probe apart & make sure you have no water in it.

Are you sure you have power to the unit & not a blown fuse? Wire to ball really doesn't matter as long as the connector on the bottom of the probe can get wet. That swivel ring/connector is actually the ground. Does your light work? If not, you got no power to the display unit.

If you're trailering the boat, then put the probe off the stern & into a 5 gal pail of water. Wiggle your connections.

The crimps are kind of light weight but I use at least two everywhere and make sure the cable is secured tight to any hardware. (cable stripped, right?)

Send an email or call Duane at Moor. He's a great guy & will help you.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

i think i have power cause i have a pull apart connection to the display unit itself. pull it apart and the screen goes off. it is hooked up to the main key so when i start the boat the screen displays 00.. not to familiar with it , just started fishing ontario, ifished erie all my life an when i bought the boat it came with a sub troll, on the maiden voyage the temp probe fell off 7 years ago and didn,t need it for erie so said the heck with it. but,, i want it now for sure.. all the wires are zip tied together so tomorrow i,m gonna look at the wires,, the antenna wire is the one that plugs into the display unit??? got time to play i got laid off last week so gonna play around tomorrow and probaly make some call's and wait for replys from u guys here.. all u guys here are much help to a rookie like myself,, for info and tips.. every trip so far yeilds at least 3 fish in the boat and several knock off's. it can only get better with my 172 dollar temp/speed probe!!!!!

Thumb, doesn't sound like a power problem. I had the same issues. My unit is that old also and you should get a (dot) on the screen when it's working but not in the water. Not sure about getting a 00 reading. My unit is wired to the battery.

The plug that goes into the back of the unit is for the probe, but check your connection from the antenna cable to the long cable/plug that goes into the unit. You can put the probe in a bucket of COOL water and and see if a reading comes up.

Are you absolutely sure about the battery being good. Mine was new out of the package but was dead :shock: . Replaced it and worked fine.

Good luck and keep at it you'll figure it out :D

thaks for the comeback fellas i found out the problem.. the unit i have,, display unit and antenna are the old, first ones made from penguin 1986 are not compatible with the new units. i talked with duane from moor in buffalo and he told me the bad news,, need to get the new style antenna and display unit to the tune of around 300 dollars.. at least have a new probe!!!! wish i knew that before i bought it.. wish i had the cash cause the currents down there ARE WICKED and would really like to know my speed at the lure. been running 2.7 -3.0 on the gps and picking up fish, not bad for a rookie not expecting to catch anything !!! againg thanks for the replies and probaly more ???-,s to come. tight lines and drags SCREAMING!!!!