SPIN DOCTOR SET UP

Im having an issue with my spin doctors getting all tangled up when I set them up off the down rigger. My lure somehow gets wrapped around my spin doctor at least half the time. Ill usually have about five feet between the ball and the spin doctor. and then another 2-3 feet between the spin doctor and the lure. Is there a special kind of swivel you need to prevent this or just a good one someone would recommend? Do you use a swivel to attach the spin doctor to your main line? do you use a swivel to attach the lure to the spin doctor? And how many feet between the spin doctor and the ball and the spin doctor and the lure? Ive seen a few posts which say they set it out at least 20 feet. Does the kind of release I use matter? And What kind of leader? Is regular mono(usually use 30lb) OK? Thanks for any tips and good luck.

The spin doctor came with 2 swivals. These are the swivals you use, one from the RIGGER TO THE SD AND ONE FROM THE SD TO THE LURE. I usually run my SD 10 - 15' from the ball and my leader from the SD to the Fly is 22". The leader I use for the fly, is 40 lb. flurocarbine or use the leader that came with the fly. The release is your choice.

Shade

I regularly run a spin doctor on my probe rigger 8' off the ball and quite often it is my hottest rod. I seldom ever run longer than 15' off the ball.

I tie all my own fly leaders on 50 lb big game, I go with the standard 23-24" leader length from back of hook to end of loop.

Tim

I usually run spin doctors with flies only and run 10-20 feet leads behind the ball. I run a 21" leader for the fly. If I run a lure with anything it's a dodger or pro-troll, but I prefer to run lures clean with no flasher. Blacks releases work well they are all I use. I almost never have tangles with these set-ups. Heavy leaders are important with spin doctors because of all the action they have you should have a wipping action with them, you may not get that with thinner leaders. Just my 2 cents.

did ya ever hear HOT dypsy fly bite ? how much leader is on a dypsy? yup 6 to 8 ft...run em the same on the ball,.hold a donut at eye level to a fat chick and youll loose yer arm put it at 10 ft and after a couple trys shell give up (DONT DO THIS ON A STEP LADDER). :lol: .Fish are the same they can go 25 mph straight but not in circles after a couple misses they move on (well you do).

Puttin anything out too fast also will (could ) give ya problems,,toss in a slight turn or cross wind and yer done..

puttin down a multi rigger spread needs to be done into or with the wind and or current.

slowturn a must WITHOUT LOOSING SPEED once everything is out if yer balls are trackin 100% then yer spread will follow ..

when yer getting below 75 ft ya better have a top notch driver one opps even if it seems minor at the boat will produce a nice rats nest (so ive been told :( ).

below a hundred sould only be tried with two outside with center high,or 1 center deep and 2 outside higher...the smaller the boat the tuffer is is to run a clean spread in less than ideal conditions.

Ive said it many times THE DRIVER is the number one reason for a good spread to work.

"hold a donut at eye level to a fat chick and youll loose yer arm put it at 10 ft and after a couple trys shell give up (DONT DO THIS ON A STEP LADDER). "

that may be the best analogy i've ever herd about anything, not just fishing!!!!! :rofl: