spin doctors making a mess

I just added 2 more riggers to my boat to make 4. i am having problams when running a spin doctor. It is catching the other lines of the rigger on the same side of boat. Could it be the strong current i had or am i doing something wrong??The same thing seems to be happening once and a while when picking up DINKS. Anyone have a clue? my only guess could be that i need longer booms on my back riggers that are 36"???

Thanks ALOT

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

If you are running four downriggers on a boat less than 8.5 foot beam you are going to have problems with wide swinging flasher and such. You should be able to separate your cables by at least 6 feet to avoid trouble ...6 between the outside and inside riggers cables (2x6)...12...and 6 between the inside riggers... (total 18 feet)... , extending 5 feet back. Fact is I have four riggers on my 8.5 beam and I only run 3 at the most anytime. And only 1 on the inboard will have a spindoctor or flasher and running deeper than all the other sets on it so it is down and behind all the other cables on the outboards.

I hope you have the outboards riggers facing at 90 degrees from the center line of your boat for maximum separation and you have 5 foot extension arms. Currents and quick turns will get things together too. Hope this makes sence and helps, but it sounds like first you might separate the cables as much as you can and run the flasher set inboard and deeper than all the other sets.

Mark

To answer both responses at the same time i run the s/d back 10 - 15 feet off the ball. I run two riggers straight off the back , one that has my probe so i dont run much off that rigger all that much, if any thing a spoon that i plan on keeping in the water for a while to try and prevent wear on my sub-troll cable. The other two i run at a 90 off each side.So it sounds like i need to try and find some longer booms with mine only being 3ft fixed.One other ? i have is about stacking my lines with out having the same problem i have with the s/d. I've yet to try it in fear of making a miserable mess but i would like to if nothing would be bothered by it . Also my beam is only 7-7.5.Thanks for the help and if any more input please share i would appreciate it very much!!

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Yup, 7.5 beam you will need 5 foot arms that tip up or put cable retrieves on to pull the ball in from the end of the arm. Long stretch and a rough day might make you get a swim ...not good.

I personally run a spinny all by itself just to avoid wrap ups...no free slides...cheater...stacked stuff.

If you want to run stacked rods off the cable you can use a down and out stacked small adjustable dipsy that is set on # 3 to run wide and out away from your ball rod. In this case you probably will not get tangled with a spinny that is run off one of the outboard riggers.

I like to run the dipsy out 90 feet and clip the line in release 30 feet above the ball for this application. It is very deadly on shy fish that come to inspect the closer inside baits. They might fall away from those and when the dipsy down and out comes along it will entice a hit as the fish believes maybe a stragler bait is easy prey. These never get tangled when running stacked, just be patient on the ball drop to the preferred zone so the dipsy can keep a straight track to the outside and not flip over, which can happen if you drop too fast. That will cause a tangle on the dipsy and it may not release.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

You only need 3 riggers and you should have one in the middle, right in the wash, one on the port and one starbourd. The key is to have starboard at 9 o'clock, center at 12 o'clock and port at 3 o'clock. You SD should run off center rigger with your probe. Also your cenetr rigger should be your deepest. When I had an 8' beam I ran my dipsys off an 11' and 12' rods so I could run my dipsy at any setting i wanted to. Just keep you dipsy above or below your riggers. I will ocassionally run a side rigger deep but you need to be careful on your turns.

Shade

That is what i wanted to do at first, but i have a bait box dead center of the back boat. That leaving me no place to mount in the middle.I will just have to try and find longer booms for the to riggers closest to the front of the boat. Thanks for all the info

matt

-Jakey Baby-

5 foot booms off the sides would help. Avoid sharp turns and you will be fine.

Don't run all four, or two next to each other at the same depth. I used to run a four attractor program off 4 riggers out of a 17 1/2 foot Starcraft fishmaster without problems.

Do not raise or lower your riggers while on a turn and avoid releasing lines to change lures while on a turn.

Glen